Gaming approvals, entitlements and machines
To operate gaming machines (commonly known as poker machines or pokies) in South Australia you must have a gaming machine licence and hold a gaming machine entitlement for each gaming machine in your possession.
To have a gaming machine licence you must have, or have applied for, one of these liquor licences:
- general and hotel liquor licence
- club liquor licence
- on premises liquor licence, but only if the nature of the business is similar to a licensed club and the premises is:
- a major sporting venue, or
- the headquarters in SA for a particular sporting code.
Each gaming machine licence specifies the maximum number of gaming machines approved for a venue. The most any venue can have is 40 machines.
If less than 40 machines have been approved for a venue, the licence holder can apply to Consumer and Business Services (CBS) to increase the maximum number of approved machines.
When a new gaming machine licence is granted, no entitlements will be issued. To operate gaming machines, a licence holder will need to purchase entitlements either through the government’s approved trading system or under a contractual agreement with Club One.
Further information about Club One is available at www.clubone.net.au.
Each gaming machine entitlement gives the licence holder the right to own and operate a single gaming machine at their venue. It is an offence to own or operate a gaming machine without holding an entitlement.
The number of entitlements held by a licence holder can't be more than the maximum number of gaming machines approved for the venue, as stated on the licence.
A licence holder can choose not to own or operate a gaming machine, even if they hold an entitlement.
Buy, sell or move an entitlement
Gaming machine entitlements can only be purchased, sold or moved between gaming venues in one of three ways:
- through the government's approved trading system
- under a contractual agreement with Club One, subject to approval by the Liquor and Gambling Commissioner
- under an arrangement between licensed non-profit associations, subject to approval by the commissioner.
If a gaming machine licence is held by a non-profit association such as a club or community hotel, entitlements can be transferred to another non-profit association under an arrangement approved by the commissioner. This could be to allow the merger or amalgamation of gaming operations for the benefit of both non-profit associations.
Any changes to the number of entitlements held by a licence holder must be approved by the commissioner and will be stated on the gaming machine licence. This will not affect the maximum number of gaming machines that are approved for a venue.
Monitoring of gaming machines
All gaming machines in South Australian hotels and clubs are monitored in real time to ensure:
- machines and installed software are approved and configured correctly
- machines only operate during approved trading hours
- gaming is not available unless the machines are secure and operating correctly
- the collection of financial and statistical gaming data
- the collection of information to assess a venue's gaming tax.
The monitoring system does not:
- control or influence the outcome of any game
- adjust the odds of winning or prizes paid.
SKYCITY Adelaide operates an independent system, which has been approved by the commissioner, to monitor gaming machines operating at the Adelaide Casino.
Purchase, sale and disposal of gaming machines
The purchase, sale or disposal of a physical gaming machine is the responsibility of the licence holder and must be done through a licensed gaming machine dealer.
Installation and maintenance of gaming machines
The installation, service, repair, disconnection or removal of a gaming machine can only be carried out by a licensed gaming machine service agent or an affiliate. There are currently two service licensees in South Australia:
Amtek Services Pty Ltd
Unit 2 / 48 Barwell Ave
Phone: (08) 8351 1665
Bytecraft Systems Pty Ltd
Unit 4 / 938 South Rd
Edwardstown SA 5039
Phone: (08) 8275 9700