Gambling codes of practice
The Liquor and Gambling Commissioner regulates the advertising of gambling products and responsible gambling practices.
The advertising code of practice gives licensees a framework to ensure:
- their advertising is consistent with community expectations
- gambling will be conducted in a responsible manner that:
- minimises the harm caused by gambling
- is socially responsible.
In particular the code governs the:
- content of gambling advertising
- use of mandatory warning messages including:
- print media
- outdoor advertising.
The codes cover:
- responsible gambling practices
- venue operations
- voluntary and involuntary barring
- employee training.
Responsible gambling code
The responsible gambling code of practice gives licensees a framework to ensure that:
- their general gambling practices are consistent with community expectations
- gambling will be conducted in a responsible manner so as to minimise the harm caused by gambling.
In particular the code governs:
- internal reporting processes for suspected problem gamblers
- voluntary and involuntary barring from gaming areas
- venue operations, including:
- in-venue customer information and signage
- young children in and around premises
- cashing of cheques
- coin availability
- inducements and loyalty programs
- staff training requirements.
Penalties apply if a gaming licence holder does not comply with a mandatory provision of any gambling code of practice.
All licensees should familiarise themselves with the contents of these codes and advise and instruct all relevant gaming staff.
Management plans and dispensations
Gambling providers can file a management plan with the Consumer and Business Services (CBS) as an alternative to the advertising and responsible gambling requirements of the codes of practice.
The management plan list is currently being updated and will be available soon.
Dispensations can be given if the alternative has equal value to what is outlined in the codes. The request for a dispensation needs to be due to unique circumstances, such as a national media campaign.
Lodge management plans and dispensations with CBS.
Licensing and Registration
GPO Box 2169
Adelaide SA 5001
Customer Service Centre
91 Grenfell Street
Adelaide SA 5000