Advertisements, mandatory messaging and signage
There are very specific rules that apply to all forms of gambling advertising.
This includes advertising on social media, indoor and outdoor signage, websites, television and radio.
The rules include:
- how the expressions "win" and "$" may be used in advertisements
- black-out periods for advertising on television and radio
- prohibitions on including minors or the consumption of alcohol in advertising
- prohibiting advertising which suggests a player's skill can influence the outcome of the game
- ensuring that gambling advertising is not false, misleading or deceptive.
Details about advertising gaming machines are set out in the Gaming Machines Gambling Codes of Practice (PDF 186KB)
Mandatory warning messages
All gambling advertising must include a mandatory warning message as specified in the Code.
The message is determined by the date of the advertisement.
Don't let the game play you. Stay in control. Gamble responsibly.
1 July 2021 to 31 December 2021
Stay in control. Leave before you lose it. Gamble responsibly.
1 January 2022 to 30 June 2022
You know the score. Stay in control. Gamble responsibly.
1 July 2022 to 31 December 2022
Know when to stop. Don't go over the top. Gamble responsibly.
1 January 2023 to 30 June 2023
Think of the people who need your support. Gamble responsibly.
1 July 2023 to 31 December 2023
Don't chase your losses. Walk away. Gamble responsibly.
1 July 2024 to 30 June 2024.
If including the expanded warning message is unreasonable or impractical, the condensed warning message of "Gamble Responsibly 1800 858 858" may be used.
Gaming licensees must display in-venue responsible gaming signs that have been approved by the Office for Problem Gambling.