General and hotel liquor licence

This licence allows you to sell liquor for people to drink on your premises or to take away.

When applying you'll need to meet certain requirements and provide a range of documents.

What you'll need

Application fees

Licence summary

Subject to the conditions of the licence, this category authorises the licensee to sell liquor:

  • for consumption on the premises
  • for takeaway
  • through online and mail order transactions.

Trading hours

On the premises

When applying you'll need to specify the hours during which you want to sell liquor for consumption on the premises.

Regardless of the hours you select, you can continue to sell liquor to residents of the premises at any time.

Trading hours may affect your annual fees.


You will need to specify the hours during which you want to sell liquor for takeaway. The hours you specify must not exceed 13 hours between 8.00 am and 10:00 pm on any day.

Regardless of the hours you select, you can sell liquor to residents of the licensed premises for takeaway at any time.

Online and mail order

You can sell liquor by direct sales transactions - eg online or by mail order - at any time on any day, but it can only be delivered in South Australia between 8.00 am and 10:00 pm.


You'll need to specify the capacity of your premises.

Your licence may be granted subject to conditions.

Optional additions

Bottle shop

If you want to sell liquor from an area commonly known as a bottle shop or drive through bottle shop, you must notify the licensing authority.

Selling liquor from a bottle shop or drive-through will affect your annual fees.

Extension of trading area

If you want to sell liquor to be consumed on a footpath or similar outdoor area that is not part of your premises, you will need to apply for an extension of trading area.

Prescribed entertainment

You'll need to apply for prescribed entertainment consent if you want to host any entertainment that:

  • is sexually explicit
  • involves boxing or martial arts.

Having prescribed entertainment consent will affect your annual fees.


If you want gaming machines at your premises, you must also apply for a gaming machine licence.

What you'll need


To apply for a general and hotel liquor licence you'll need to upload these documents (a legible photo is acceptable):

The capacity of the venue may also be stated as part of your development approval or certificate of occupancy.

If you're applying as:

  • a partnership you'll need a copy of the partnership agreement
  • a company you'll need an Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) extract
  • a trustee of trust you'll need a copy of the relevant trust deed.

Positions of authority

You'll need to determine who holds a position of authority within your corporate structure or trust, and lodge an application to have those persons approved.

Responsible persons

At all times that the venue is open for trade to the public, it will need to be supervised by a responsible person. This is:

  • the licensee
  • a director of the licensee (where the licensee is a company)
  • a person approved by the commissioner as a responsible person.

If the person you want to supervise your venue is not approved as responsible person, you can apply for them to be approved. You can do this as part of your licence application.

If a person has already been approved under another current liquor or gaming licence in South Australia, a responsible person application is only required if their circumstances have changed since their last approval.

If the person you want to supervise your venue is already approved you don’t need to do anything further.

Anyone performing the duties a responsible person must wear an identification badge (RP badge) issued by the commissioner.

Check if someone is approved as a responsible person (you'll need the ID number from their RP badge).

After submitting your application

After submitting your application you must:

  • provide a copy of the permit issued by your local council if you applied for extension of trading area - the permit must be in the applicant’s name
  • provide any development approvals from council.

If you don’t have development approval but have been granted planning consent from local council and the venue isn't finished, the commissioner can grant you a certificate and then grant the licence once the venue is complete. There is no additional application to convert your certificate into a licence.

The documents must be lodged seven days before the date that your application will be considered. You'll be advised of this date after you submit your application.

If documents are not lodged seven days before the date your application is to be considered your application will be adjourned for six months.

Once all outstanding documents are lodged, the application will be re-listed for determination. If the outstanding documents are not received within six months the application will be dismissed.

What happens next

You can log in to LGO at any time to track the progress of your application.

Some applications are sent to  the South Australia Police Licensing Enforcement Branch.

Some are also required to be advertised.

CBS will advise you of the next steps and what you need to do.

Submissions and interventions

If your application needs to be advertised, anyone will be able to submit their concerns and object to the application.

For example, if your neighbours think your business is going to be noisy or if they are concerned your business will have an impact on the neighbourhood they may consider lodging a submission with the commissioner.

The police may also intervene in your application if they have concerns about public safety and disturbance or the fitness and propriety of any person holding the licence.

If all the approvals are in place and there are no concerns raised by any member of the public (submissions) or police (interventions), the application process will take approximately six to eight weeks.

Submissions or interventions must be lodged at least seven days before the determination date.

If anyone submits a concern regarding your application you will receive a copy.

You may then be asked to submit a response to the commissioner.

In some rare circumstances, you may also be asked to:

  • take part in a conciliation conference with SAPOL (or anyone else who submitted their concerns) and the commissioner or a delegate
  • attend a hearing before the Licensing Court.

When determining a matter, the commissioner or delegate must consider all submissions, interventions and responses.

Conciliation conferences and hearings

Contact CBS Liquor and Gaming


Phone: 131 882

GPO Box 2169
Adelaide SA 5001

Related information

Other websites

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 20 April 2021

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2021