Renew driver's licence
Licence photos are valid for 10 years. You can renew your licence online for as long as your photo is valid.
If you are due for a new photo, you will need to renew your licence with a new photo.
A licence can be renewed online even if expired by up to five years.
Fees are calculated using the annual licence fee multiplied by the number of years you choose to renew, plus an administration fee.
|Driver's licence and learner's permit||Concession*||Fee|
|Driver's licence issue or renewal per year plus an administration fee of $20.00 (1 to 10 year licences available)||$23.50|
|Provisional driver's licence first issue (issued for 3 years and includes a $20.00 administration fee)||$90.50||$161.00|
|Learner's permit first issue (only issued for 24 months)||$67.00|
|Learner's permit renewal (9 months)||$37.50|
|Rider Safe learner's permit (only issued for 24 months)|
* If you are applying for a concession for the first time, attend a Service SA centre, or call 13 10 84
What happens next
You should receive your renewed photo licence in the post within three weeks.
When you renew online, you can print a temporary licence.
If you don't receive the new licence within 21 days, phone Service SA on 13 10 84. If you don't contact Service SA within 30 days of renewing your licence you may need to pay a replacement licence fee.
Reasons you can't renew online
Online renewal may not be available in some circumstances.
- If your licence has expired by more than 5 years..
- If you tell us you now need glasses when driving, the condition needs to be recorded on your licence.
- If you tell us you don't need glasses (when previously you did) you will need to take an eye test to have this condition removed from your licence.
- If your last licence photograph was taken more than 10 years ago, or you're trying to renew longer than your photo is valid.
Call Service SA on 13 10 84 for advice on renewing your licence.
If you tell us you are disqualified, suspended or otherwise prevented from holding or obtaining a driver's licence, you will not be able to renew your licence.
Contact Service SA
Only send general enquiries online. Service SA will respond within three working days.
If the matter is urgent or is specifically about your current licence or registration, please phone or visit a customer service centre instead.
Call Service SA Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays on:
Service SA Customer Service Centre locations and opening hours.