Renew a learner's permit
A South Australian learner’s permit can be renewed if it hasn't been expired for more than 12 months.
If your permit expired more than 12 months ago, you'll need to pass the learner's theory test and be re-issued with a new permit.
What happens next
You should receive your photo permit in the post within three weeks. If you have renewed a paper learner’s permit, you can access the permit from your mySA GOV account.
When you renew online, you can print out a temporary permit or download a digital version of your permit instantly using the mySA GOV app.
If you have not received the new permit within 21 days phone Service SA on 13 10 84. If you don't contact Service SA within 30 days of renewing your permit, you may need to pay a replacement fee.
Reasons you can't renew online
To renew your learner's permit online you must have a mySA GOV account.
Online renewal may not be available in some circumstances:
- you now need glasses when driving, the condition needs to be recorded on your permit
- you no longer need glasses (when previously you did) you will need to take an eye test to have this condition removed from your permit
- your learner's permit has been expired for more than 12 months - you will need to pass the learner's theory test and be re-issued with a learner's permit.
Phone Service SA on 13 10 84 for advice on renewing your permit.
If you are disqualified, suspended or otherwise prevented from holding or obtaining a learner's permit, you will not be able to renew your permit.
Learner's permit for a motorbike (class R-date)
A learner’s permit for a motorbike (class R-date) may be renewed if both these conditions are met:
- your permit has not expired by more than 12 months
- it has been less than 2 years since you passed the basic rider safe course.
Phone Service SA on 13 10 84 to confirm eligibility.
Contact Service SA
Only send general enquiries online. Service SA will respond within three working days.
If the matter is urgent or is specifically about your current licence or registration, phone or visit a customer service centre instead.
Call Service SA between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays:
Service SA Customer Service Centre locations and opening hours.