Renew a learner's permit
If your learner’s permit expired less than 12 months ago, you can renew it with a mySA GOV account.
With a mySA GOV account, you can access a legally compliant digital learner’s permit through the mySA GOV app.
Don't have a mySA GOV account?
You can still renew a learner's permit online - you'll need your permit number.
Who is this for
People who want to renew a South Australian learner’s permit that has been expired for no more than 12 months.
If your learner's permit has been expired for more than 12 months, you will need to pass the Learner's Theory Test to be re-issued with a learner's permit.
What you need
Your permit number.
Fees are calculated on the annual licence fee multiplied by the number of years you choose to renew, plus an administration fee.
|Driver's licence and learner's permit||Concession*||Fee|
|Driver's licence issue or renewal per year plus an administration fee of $20.00 (1 to 10 year licences available)||$23.50|
|Provisional driver's licence first issue (issued for 3 years and includes a $20.00 administration fee)||$90.50||$161.00|
|Learner's permit first issue (only issued for 24 months)||$67.00|
|Learner's permit renewal (9 months)||$37.50|
|Rider Safe learner's permit (only issued for 24 months)|
* If you are applying for a concession for the first time, attend a Service SA centre, or call 13 10 84
What happens next
You should receive your photo permit in the post within three weeks. If you have renewed a paper learner’s permit, you can access the permit from your mySA GOV account.
When you renew online, you can print out a temporary permit or download a digital version of your permit instantly through the mySA GOV app.
Digital passes, permits and licences displayed in the mySA GOV app are an electronic form of your existing physical licence or permit.
If you have not received the new permit within 21 days phone Service SA on 13 10 84. If you don't contact Service SA within 30 days of renewing your photo learner's permit, you may need to pay a replacement fee.
Reasons you can't renew online
Online renewal may not be available in some circumstances.
- If you tell us you now need glasses when driving, the condition needs to be recorded on your permit.
- If you tell us you don't need glasses (when previously you did) you will need to take an eye test to have this condition removed from your permit.
- If your learner's permit has been expired for more than 12 months, you cannot renew and will need to pass the Learner's Theory Test to be re-issued with a learner's permit.
Call Service SA on 13 10 84 for advice on renewing your permit.
If you tell us you are disqualified, suspended or otherwise prevented from holding or obtaining a learner's permit, you will not be able to renew your permit.
Other ways to pay
If you don't need a new photograph you can renew your learner's permit:
- In person - complete the application form , take it to a Service SA Customer Service Centre and pay the fee. If you renew in person, you will be given a temporary learner's permit.
- By post - send your completed application form with payment by cheque or money order to:
GPO Box 1533
Adelaide SA 5001
If renewing by post, send your completed application as soon as possible to allow enough time for postage and processing.
Learner's permit for a motorbike (class R-date)
A learner’s permit for a motorbike (class R-date) may be renewed if both these conditions are met:
- your permit has not expired by more than 12 months
- it has been less than 2 years since you passed the Basic Rider Safe course.
Phone Service SA on 13 10 84 to confirm eligibility.
Contact Service SA
COVID-SAfe Check-In will roll out from 1 December 2020.
Only send general enquiries online. Service SA will respond within three working days.
If the matter is urgent or is specifically about your current licence or registration, please phone or visit a customer service centre instead.
Call Service SA Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays on:
- 13 10 84 between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm
- +61 8 8463 3490 for overseas callers between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm
Service SA Customer Service Centre locations and opening hours.