Update your details
You can change your residential or postal address online with a mySAGOV account. Create an account if you don't already have one.
Changing your address updates the details recorded for your:
- driver's licence or learner's permit
- boat licence
- proof of age card
- registrations in your name such as vehicles, trailers and boats
What happens next
A sticker with your new address will be posted to you. This must be placed on the back of your licence or permit card.
If you use the mySAGOV app, your new address details will be available on your digital licence or permit immediately.
Registration renewals will be sent to your new address, or you can opt to receive renewals by email or SMS.
Change direct debit payment method
To change your name on your driver's licence or learner's permit, attend a Service SA customer service centre with:
- a completed advice of change of name/address (121.2 KB PDF)
- evidence of identity (original documents must be provided)
- your current South Australian driver's licence or permit.
You will need to:
- pay a replacement licence or permit fee of $20. Alternatively, you may choose to renew your licence if the expiry date is approaching. In this case, only a renewal fee will be charged.
- have a new photo taken if your signature has changed
To register or amend your gender, you must present one of the following documents at a Service SA customer service centre:
- a statement from a registered medical practitioner or a registered psychologist
- a valid Australian Government travel document, such as a current passport, which specifies your preferred gender
- an amended state or territory birth certificate, which specifies your preferred gender
- a state or territory gender recognition certificate, or recognised details certificate, showing that a state or territory registrar of birth deaths and marriages has accepted your change in sex will be sufficient evidence.
Providing you have a supporting document from the list above, you can change your gender to one of the following:
'M' - male
'F' - female
'X' - this option is available if you do not identify your gender as either male or female.
For more information, read the Australian Government guidelines on the recognition of sex and gender.
Change to medical conditions
If you have a physical or mental impairment that may affect your capacity to drive, you must declare this to Service SA. Based on this information, you may need to undergo a medical examination to confirm your fitness to hold a driver's licence.
Downgrade or surrender your driver's licence
When you no longer require a class of licence other than car, you can downgrade your licence by having any additional classes removed eg LR Light Rigid, R Motorcycle.
You can also surrender your driver's licence if you no longer wish to drive or are no longer fit to drive.
Contact Service SA
Only send general enquiries online. Service SA will respond within three working days.
If the matter is urgent or is specifically about your current licence or registration, phone or visit a customer service centre instead.
Call Service SA between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays:
- 13 10 84
- +61 8 8226 0206 (overseas callers).
Service SA Customer Service Centre locations and opening hours.