If you have not held a full, provisional, interstate or overseas driver's licence in the last five years, you will need to re-apply for a South Australian licence.
What you'll need
Before you can be issued a licence, you will need to present your evidence of identity and pass these tests:
- theory test - when you pass the test, a learner's permit will be issued for the purpose of undertaking a practical driving test
- hazard perception test
- practical driving assessment. - when you pass the test you'll receive a certificate of competency.
Returning drivers are exempt from:
- completing 75 hours of supervised driving
- holding a learner's permit for a minimum period.
How to apply
- learner's permit
- certificate of competency
- completed application form
You will receive a temporary driver’s licence and your photo licence will be posted to you.
Fees apply for each test and for the issue of a licence.
Contact Service SA
COVID-SAfe Check-In will roll out from 1 December 2020.
Only send general enquiries online. Service SA will respond within three working days.
If the matter is urgent or is specifically about your current licence or registration, please phone or visit a customer service centre instead.
Call Service SA Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays on:
- 13 10 84 between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm
- +61 8 8463 3490 for overseas callers between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm
Service SA Customer Service Centre locations and opening hours.