Apply for a provisional licence

Who is this for

People aged at least 17 years applying for a South Australian provisional licence.

What you'll need

To apply for your provisional licence you must have:

If you are 25 or older, you must have your learner's permit for at least six months.

Practical driving test

To progress to your provisional licence you must do either of these:

  • pass a practical driving test with a qualified driving instructor that you have booked at least three days ahead
  • complete a competency based training course with a qualified driving instructor, who will assess your competency in a series of practical driving sessions.

A fee is payable to the driving instructor for either the practical driving test or competency based training.

Once you have completed the practical driving test or competency based training, you'll get a certificate of competency.

Hazard perception test

You must pass a hazard perception test before you can apply for your provisional licence.

Study the South Australian road rules and regulations before you attempt the test. You can practice the hazard perception test online.

Booking a test

To book a hazard perception test, call Service SA on 13 10 84 8:00 am to 6:00 pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays.

Tests can be taken at any Service SA customer service centre, except Regency Park and Mile End.

Payment for the test must be made at the time of booking.

How to apply

Once you have passed a hazard perception test, present your:

to a Service SA customer service centre. A temporary licence will be issued.

If you have a mySA GOV account, you can access a legally compliant digital licence through the mySA GOV app.


See driver's licence and permit fees.

What happens next

Your photo provisional licence will be posted to you and is valid for three years, P1 for one year and P2 for two years.

P1 conditions apply for a minimum of 12 months before you may progress to a P2 licence. If you're eligible, the transition to a P2 licence will be automatic once the 12 month P1 period is completed. You will be on P2 conditions for the remaining period of your provisional licence.

An application to renew your licence without provisional conditions will be posted to you four to six weeks before your P2 licence expires.

Contact Service SA

COVID-SAfe Check-In will roll out from 1 December 2020.


Only send general enquiries online. Service SA will respond within three working days.

If the matter is urgent or is specifically about your current licence or registration, please phone or visit a customer service centre instead.

Enquire now


Call Service SA Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays on:

In person

Service SA Customer Service Centre locations and opening hours.

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 14 July 2020

Provided by:
Department for Infrastructure and Transport
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2021