Applying for a motorcycle licence
To get a motorcycle licence you need to attend basic and advanced Rider Safe training courses.
On successful completion of the basic course, you receive a Learner's Permit. After completing the advanced course, you may get a licence for a restricted motorcycle class, which allows you to ride a learner approved motorcycle.
Steps to getting a licence
1. Basic training course
The basic rider safe course is a pre-licence training course that teaches the basic and advanced skills necessary for you to ride a motorcycle safely on the road.
Training is available at:
- St Agnes
- Murray Bridge
- Port Pirie
To take part in a Basic Rider Safe course, you must have a current driver's licence or learner's permit. If you do not have a current driver's licence or learner's permit, you must first pass a theory test.
- pay for the basic Rider Safe basic course by calling Service SA on 13 10 84 (8:00 am to 6:00 pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays) or at any Service SA customer service centre
- once payment has been made phone 1800 018 300 (9:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays) with your receipt number to make your booking.
2. Apply for a learner's permit
After you have successfully completed the basic course, you must present your endorsed 'Approval to obtain a learner's permit' form at any Service SA customer service centre within 12 months to obtain your learner's permit. Failure to do so will result in you having to do the basic course again.
The learner's permit is valid for two years and you must carry it at all times while riding. (In certain circumstances, a nine-month learner's permit may be issued - telephone 13 10 84 for further details.)
3. Advanced training
It is recommended that you have your learner's permit for a minimum of six months before you undertake the Rider Safe advanced training course.
- pay for the advanced Rider Safe course by calling Service SA on 13 10 84 (8:00 am to 6:00 pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays) or at any Service SA customer service centre
- once payment has been made, phone 1800 018 300 (9:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays) with your receipt number to make your booking.
4. Apply for an R-date licence
After successfully completing the Rider Safe advanced course, present your certificate of competency at any Service SA customer service centre to apply for a R-date licence.
If you already hold a driver's licence, the R-date motorcycle class will be added to it.
If you do not hold a licence, but have held a learner's permit for a period totalling at least 12 calendar months and you are at least 17 years old, you can apply for a provisional licence.
This licence is restricted to riding a learner approved motorcycle.
5. Apply for an R-class licence
After riding on a restricted R-Date licence for 12 months, you may commence riding a motorcycle or motor trike of any power to weight ratio. You do not need to apply to have the class of licence upgraded to an R class. Once the eligibility date on your R-Date class licence has lapsed, you can ride a motorcycle or motor trike of any power to weight ratio.
You can still apply to have the class upgraded from a class R-Date to R once the eligibility date has lapsed, however you will need to pay a fee for a replacement licence. Contact Service SA on 13 10 84 to upgrade the class of your licence.
|Rider Safe motorcycle training course and permit||Fee|
|Level one - basic||$385.00|
|Level two - advanced||$342.00|
|Rider Safe learner's permit (only issued for 24 months)||$67.00|