Theory test at a centre
You must be at least 16 years of age to do a theory test and apply for your learner's permit.
Steps to getting a learner's permit
1. Prepare for a theory test
Use MyLicence to:
2. Book a theory test
- Tests can be taken at any Service SA customer service centre except Regency Park and Mile End.
- Bookings can't be made more than 90 days in advance.
- Pay the $38 fee to do the learner's theory test.
|Monday||9:00 am to 4:00 pm (Marion and Elizabeth centres until 5:00 pm)|
|Tuesday||9:00 am to 4:00 pm (Marion and Elizabeth centres until 5:00 pm)|
|Wednesday||9:30 am to 4:00 pm (Marion and Elizabeth centres until 5:00 pm)|
|Thursday||9:00 am to 4:00 pm (Marion and Elizabeth centres until 5:00 pm)|
|Friday||9:00 am to 4:00 pm (Marion and Elizabeth centres until 5:00 pm)|
3. Attend a Service SA customer service centre
- evidence of identity
- a completed learner's permit application (the email address used, can't be a school email address).
At the customer service centre you'll:
- have your photograph taken
- successfully complete the theory test:
- pay the learner's permit fee of $68
- get a temporary learner's permit.
You will also receive a permit in the post within 21 days.
What happens next
- at least 12 months if you are under 25
- at least 6 months if you are 25 or over.
Contact Service SA
Only send general enquiries online. Service SA will respond within three working days.
If the matter is urgent or is specifically about your current licence or registration, phone or visit a customer service centre instead.
Call Service SA between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays:
Service SA Customer Service Centre locations and opening hours.