Online myLs course and theory test
You must be at least 15 years and 9 months old to complete the myLs online course and theory test.
Steps to getting a learner's permit
1. Attend a Service SA customer service centre
- evidence of identity
- an email address (not a school email address).
- have your photograph taken
- have a mySA GOV account created
- download the mySA GOV app
- pay the $38 fee to do the learner's theory test or pay later using your mySA GOV account.
2. Prepare for and complete a theory test
Do the myLs online course and a theory test using your mySA GOV account.
The course takes approximately four hours to do. You'll learn all you need to know in preparation for the online theory test. Once you complete the following sections you'll be able to do the theory test:
- Your driving attitude
- Signs and rules
- Sharing the road.
3. Get your learner's permit
You must be at least 16 years of age to apply for your learner's permit.
Use your mySA GOV account to pay the $68 fee and download a digital permit using the mySA GOV app.
You will also receive your photo learner's permit card in the post within 21 days.
What happens next
- at least 12 months if you are under 25
- at least 6 months if you are 25 or over.
Contact Service SA
Only send general enquiries online. Service SA will respond within three working days.
If the matter is urgent or is specifically about your current licence or registration, phone or visit a customer service centre instead.
Call Service SA between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays:
Service SA Customer Service Centre locations and opening hours.
myLs - MyLicence