Online myLs course and theory test
You must be at least 15 years and 9 months old to complete the myLs online course and theory test.
Steps to getting a learner's permit
1. Attend a Service SA customer service centre
Attend any Service SA customer service centre
- evidence of identity that verifies your full name, date of birth, signature and residential address.
- an email address (not a school email address).
- have your photograph taken
- have a mySAGOV account created
- download the mySAGOV app
- pay the $38 fee to do the learner's theory test or pay later using your mySAGOV account.
2. Prepare for and complete a theory test
Log in to your mySAGOV account to do the myLs online course and theory test.
The course takes approximately four hours to do. You'll learn all you need to know in preparation for the online theory test. Once you complete the following sections you'll be able to do the theory test:
- Your driving attitude
- Signs and rules
- Sharing the road.
3. Get your learner's permit
You must be at least 16 years of age to apply for your learner's permit.
Use your mySAGOV account to pay the $69 fee and download a digital permit using the mySAGOV app.
You will also receive your photo learner's permit card in the post within 21 days.
What happens next
- at least 12 months if you are under 25
- at least 6 months if you are 25 or over.
Contact Service SA
Only send general enquiries online. Service SA will respond within three working days.
If the matter is urgent or is specifically about your current licence or registration, phone or visit a customer service centre instead.
Call Service SA between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays:
Service SA Customer Service Centre locations and opening hours.
myLs - MyLicence