Transfer an interstate driver's licence

If you have moved to South Australia and hold a licence in another state or territory, you must transfer to a South Australian licence within 3 months.

If you live in another state and you’re visiting South Australia for a period of less than 3 months, you can drive using a valid interstate licence.

How to apply

Take these items to a Service SA customer service centre:

If you have a medical condition you maybe required to complete a certificate of fitness.

You will need to pay the administration fee and have your photo taken.

Your new licence will be of an equivalent class and have the same expiry date as your existing licence. You can extend the duration of your licence at the same time by paying the appropriate renewal fee.

What happens next

You will be issued with a temporary licence and you should receive your new photo licence in the post within 3 weeks.

Interstate learner's permit holders

Present your interstate learner's permit with the completed application form (153.5 KB PDF) and evidence of identity. Pay the fee and you will be issued a South Australian learner's permit.

If your learner's permit has expired by more than 12 months, you will need to pass a learner's test.

Contact Service SA


Only send general enquiries online. Service SA will respond within three working days.

If the matter is urgent or is specifically about your current licence or registration, phone or visit a customer service centre instead.

Enquire now


Call Service SA between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays:

In person

Service SA Customer Service Centre locations and opening hours.

Related information

On this site

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 11 October 2022

Provided by:
Department for Infrastructure and Transport
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023