Driving interstate or overseas

If you intend to drive in another country, you may be required to apply for an international driving permit or obtain a record of your licence so that you can apply for an overseas licence.

An international driving permit enables motorists to drive overseas without further tests or applications. They are required when renting a motor vehicle in many countries and are proof that you hold a valid driver's licence in your home country.

International driving permits:

  • are only valid for 12 months
  • contain a translation of your driver's licence in nine languages - English, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Italian, German, Arabic, Swedish and French
  • must be accompanied by a valid driver's licence at all times
  • must be applied for before leaving Australia.

Applying for an international driving permit

To apply for a permit in South Australia:

  1. take a copy of your current driver's licence and a passport-size photograph of yourself into any RAA office
  2. complete the application form and pay a fee.

Please note, the RAA cannot issue an IDP for an overseas licence holder. An IDP must be issued in the country where the licence was issued and should be applied for before coming to Australia.

Obtaining a record of your licence

If you plan to live overseas and wish to obtain that country's licence, you may need to get a driver licence report.

A driver licence report provides current licence status, issue date, classes, demerit points, offences and any licence enforcements - eg disqualification or suspension.

Example reports (340.5 KB PDF).

Before purchasing a Driver Licence Report, please check with the overseas licensing authority regarding its specific requirements for accepting documents.

Apply for a Driver licence report

Replacing a licence while interstate or overseas

If you're a South Australian licence holder currently located interstate or overseas and can't apply for a replacement licence online you need to apply for a photo-kit by writing to:

Service SA
Licence Services
GPO Box 1533
Adelaide SA 5001

Fax -  8226 7556 (from overseas +61 8 8226 7556)
Email - photolicenceclerk@sa.gov.au

Related information

On this site


Service SA customer service centre
Phone - 13 10 84

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 31 October 2018

Provided by:
Department for Infrastructure and Transport
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2020