Check if you can transfer your overseas driver's licence

If you have an overseas driver's licence or permit, you must get a South Australian driver's licence or permit within 3 months of becoming a permanent resident of South Australia.

Residency status and visitor information

Even if your licence has expired, you may still be able to obtain a South Australian licence.

Find out what you need to do by answering a few simple questions.

Licences that are not in English

If your existing licence is not in English, you will need to provide an official translation as part of your application to transfer it to a South Australian licence.

Translations must be an original document and:

  • translated and signed by a person approved by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd (NAATI).
  • translations provided by a consulate office in Australia signed and on official consular letterhead.  Please check with the consulate office that a translation service is provided.
  • translations provided directly by, or with the endorsement of, the South Australian Government Interpreting and Translating Centre (Multicultural SA) or interstate equivalent.

Contact Service SA


Only send general enquiries online. Service SA will respond within three working days.

If the matter is urgent or is specifically about your current licence or registration, phone or visit a customer service centre instead.

Enquire now


Call Service SA between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays:

In person

Service SA Customer Service Centre locations and opening hours.

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 9 January 2023

Provided by:
Department for Infrastructure and Transport
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023