Renew a learner's permit
If you don't need a new photo, you can renew your learner’s permit online.
Using a mobile?
By clicking 'Pay now' you will be redirected to a page that will not resize to fit your screen but you will still be able to complete transactions.
If you want to do this later, you could email this page to yourself.
Improved transaction pages will be available soon.
Who is this for
People who hold a learner’s permit that has been expired for no more than 12 months.
If your learner's permit has been expired for more than 12 months, you will need to pass the Learner's Theory Test to be re-issued with a learner's permit.
What you need
Your permit number.
Some medical conditions may prevent you from renewing online.
Fees are listed below.
Fees are calculated on the annual licence fee multiplied by the number of years you choose to renew, plus an administration fee.
Effective from 1 July 2019.
|Driver's licence and learner's permit||Concession*||Fee|
|Driver's licence issue or renewal per year plus an administration fee of $20.00 (1 to 10 year licences available)||$23.00|
|Provisional driver's licence first issue (issued for 3 years and includes a $20.00 administration fee)||$89.00||$158.00|
|Learner's permit first issue (only issued for 24 months)||$66.00|
|Learner's permit renewal (9 months)||$37.00|
|Rider Safe learner's permit (only issued for 24 months)|
* If you are applying for a concession for the first time, attend a Service SA centre, or call 13 10 84
What happens next
You should receive your photo permit in the post within three weeks.
When you renew online, you can print out a temporary permit or download a digital version of your permit instantly through the mySA GOV app.
Digital passes, permits and licences displayed in the mySA GOV app are an electronic form of your existing physical licence or permit.
If you have not received the new permit within 21 days phone Service SA on 13 10 84. If you don't contact Service SA within 30 days you may need to pay a replacement fee.
Reasons you can't renew online
Online renewal may not be available in some circumstances.
- If you tell us you have a medical condition or disability that affects your ability to drive, you will need to provide a medical certificate confirming your fitness to drive before your permit can be renewed.
- If you tell us you now need glasses when driving, the condition needs to be recorded on your permit.
- If you tell us you don't need glasses (when previously you did) you will need to take an eye test to have this condition removed from your permit.
Call Service SA on 13 10 84 for advice on renewing your permit.
If you tell us you are disqualified, suspended or otherwise prevented from holding or obtaining a learner's permit, you will not be able to renew your permit.
Learner's permit for a motorbike (class R-date)
A learner’s permit for a motorbike (class R-date) cannot be renewed.
Contact Service SA
Only send general enquiries online. Service SA will respond within three working days.
If the matter is urgent or is specifically about your current licence or registration, please phone or visit a customer service centre instead.
- Registration and driver's licences - 13 10 84 (8.00 am to 6.00 pm)
- Overseas callers - +61 8 8463 3490
GPO Box 1533
Adelaide SA 5001