Property manager registration
Property managers work for land agents and manage residential or commercial properties. If you run a property management business, you must be a registered land agent.
Requirement to be registered
From 28 September 2019 property managers must be registered.
CBS will be accepting applications from 1 February 2019. It is recommended that applications are lodged by 30 August 2019 to ensure they are processed before the deadline.
Who should register
- Anyone employed by a land agent who manages residential or commercial properties.
- Existing sales reps who manage properties need to apply to have the property manager condition added to their existing registration.
You can apply for registration if you:
- have completed the relevant qualifications
- have a police clearance no more than 12 months old
- are 18 years of age or over.
Who doesn’t need to register
You don't need to be registered as a property manager if you:
- hold a current land agent’s registration
- work for an agent and simply take calls or arrange maintenance appointments in relation to properties - eg reception duties
- only manage properties for yourself or relatives (not carrying on a business)
- work for a community housing provider.
Before you begin
Check you have the right qualifications to register.
Offences and convictions
You may not be able to register if you (or a director of the company) has been convicted of an 'indictable offence' of dishonesty, or convicted of a 'summary offence' of dishonesty within the past 10 years.
Include with your application a copy of your National Police Certificate (NPC) no more than 12 months old.
Apply for an NPC through:
- South Australian Police
- National police checking service - Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission
You do not need an NPC if you:
- are director of a company listed on the Australian Stock Exchange
- have lodged an NPC with CBS within the last year
- are an overseas resident and have never lived in Australia
- have held a licence within the last year and are applying for an equivalent licence
- have already supplied an NPC for a different licence issued under the Land Agents Act 1994.
How to register
You will need to:
- upload a scanned copy of the required documents such as qualifications - a photo of the documents taken with your smartphone or tablet is acceptable
- use a valid credit card or debit card to make payment - only MasterCard or Visa are accepted.
Complete the form
Fill in the online application form.
All registrations granted prior to 28 September 2019 will be due for renewal on 28 September 2020.
|Property manager registration type||Fee|
|Pre-grant fee (paid with new application)|
|Total fee payable for new application (includes 1 year registration*)|
Total fee payable for new application (includes 1 year registration*) |
(Interstate or NZ licence recognised in SA)
|Application to vary a registration|
*To account for the delay between when you can apply and the need to be registered, new applications granted before September 2019 will get more than 1 year initially.
All real estate registrations are now digital and a physical card is not required. You can download your licence or registration to an Apple or Android smart phone or tablet using the mySA GOV app. For more information visit my.sa.gov.au.
If there are situations where digital display is not possible - eg no internet coverage or a faulty phone - CBS officers checking for compliance will use alternative methods to check you are appropriately registered.
How to access your digital registration - Consumer and Business Services
Changes that affect registration
Notify CBS within 14 days if you have committed an offence or have had legal restrictions placed on your work or business, such as bankruptcy, financial receivership, suspended or disqualified work licence.
You will also need to advise CBS when you: