Property manager registration
Property managers work for land agents and manage residential or commercial properties. If you run a property management business, you must be a registered land agent.
Requirement to be registered
From 28 September 2019 property managers must be registered.
Registration will be possible from 1 February 2019, and CBS recommends applications are lodged by 30 August 2019 to ensure they are processed before the deadline.
New applications are required when:
- registering for the first time
- re-applying for a registration that was cancelled
- applying for a different registration type.
Who should register
You can apply for registration if you:
- have completed the relevant qualifications
- have a police clearance no more than 12 months old
- are 18 years of age, or over
- pay the application fees.
Who doesn’t need to register
You do not need to be registered as a property manager if you:
- only manage properties for yourself or relatives
- work for a community housing provider
- work for an agent and take calls or arrange maintenance appointments in relation to properties - eg reception duties
- hold a current land agent’s registration (Please note - sales representatives will need to upgrade their existing registration).
Before you begin
Check you have the right qualifications to register.
Offences and convictions
You may not be able to register if you (or a director of the company) has been convicted of an 'indictable offence' of dishonesty, or convicted of a 'summary offence' of dishonesty within the past 10 years.
Include with your registration a copy of your National Police Certificate (NPC) no more than 12 months old.
Apply for an NPC through:
- South Australian Police
- National police checking service - Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission
You do not need an NPC if you:
- are director of a company listed on the Australian Stock Exchange
- have lodged an NPC with CBS within the last year
- are an overseas resident and have never lived in Australia
- have held a licence within the last year and are applying for an equivalent licence
- have already supplied an NPC for a different licence issued under the Land Agents Act 1994.
How to register
The registration form will be available from 1 February 2019, and CBS recommends you lodge your application by 30 August 2019.
Early registrations will be valid for one year from the commencement date of 28 September 2019.
As part of a move to digital credentials for the industry, registrations will be issued electronically for display on mobile devices. Alternative arrangements for checking compliance will be in place for situations where digital display is not possible.
|Property manager registration type||Fee|
|Pre-grant fee (paid with new application)||$200|
|Total fee payable for new application (includes 1 year registration*)||$490|
Total fee payable for new application (includes 1 year registration*) |
(Interstate or NZ licence recognised in SA)
|Application to vary a registration||$122|
*To account for the delay between when you can apply and the need to be registered, new applications granted before September 2019 will get more than 1 year initially.
All real estate registrations are now digital and a physical card is not required. You can download your licence or registration to an Apple or Android smart phone or tablet using the mySA GOV app. For more information visit my.sa.gov.au.
Changes that affect registration
Notify CBS within 14 days if you have committed an offence or have had legal restrictions placed on your work or business, such as bankruptcy, financial receivership, suspended or disqualified work licence.
You will also need to advise CBS when you: