Work and business licences

Recognition of interstate and overseas work licences

Workers and contractors with licences from interstate or New Zealand (NZ) can apply for the same type of South Australian (SA) licence. If you're from overseas, you may be able to have some of your skills recognised in South Australia and get advice on how on study options.

Who can apply

Interstate and NZ licence holders

You can apply if:

  • your interstate or NZ licence is current
  • your licence isn’t suspended and has no conditions due to criminal, civil or disciplinary proceedings - including if you are being investigated.

Before you begin

You'll need to include a copy of your current licence with your application - showing the front and back if it’s a licence card.

Overseas licences (plumbers, gas fitters and electricians only)

People with plumbing, gas fitting and electrical licences from another country may be able to have some of their skills recognised in South Australia.

Before you begin

Arrange for a registered training organisation (RTO) which has been approved by Australian Skill Quality Authority to check your technical skills if you are:

  • a general plumber and gas fitter
  • a general electrician
  • an air-conditioning and refrigeration mechanic
  • a cable jointer and electrical power lines tradesperson.

If you qualify, the RTO will give you an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR). Attach this to your application as supporting evidence. Your RTO can also give you advice on other study options.

Find an approved RTO - Trades Recognition Australia

Restrictions for overseas licence holders

When you receive your restricted licence, you can work if someone supervises you. Once you finish the study you need to do for an Australian licence (read your OTSR for details) you can apply to have the restriction removed.


1. Complete the form

Fill in the application.

2. Print and sign

Print and sign the completed form.

3. Scan and upload

Scan and upload the signed form along with your supporting evidence.

4. Payment

You can pay by credit card using CBS's secure service. Check your application form for the licence fee.

In person

1. Complete the form

Fill in the application.

2. Print and sign

Print and sign the completed form.

3. Lodgement

Take your application to CBS Customer Service Centre or to a Service SA regional office along with your supporting evidence and payment.


1. Complete the form

Fill in the application form, then print and sign it

2. Payment

Make a cheque or money order payable to the Commissioner for Consumer Affairs.

3. Lodgement

Post your application, supporting evidence and payment to:

Consumer and Business Services
GPO Box 1719
Adelaide 5001


If you're not able to apply online, in person or by post, call 131 882 and our staff will complete the form for you.

We'll post it to you to sign, advise you of your payment options and ask you to send it back to CBS with copies of your supporting evidence.


Check your individual work licence to find what fees apply.

    What happens next

    For most licences, you'll need to have your photo taken and undergo an ID check before being issued with a licence card.

    Related information

    On this site

    Business licences

    Other websites

    Licence recognition - Department of Industry, Innovation and Science

    Contact CBS Occupational Licensing


    Phone131 882

    In person:
    91 Grenfell Street

    GPO Box 1719
    Adelaide SA 5001

    Was this page useful?

    Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

    Page last updated 13 September 2018

    Provided by:
    Attorney-General's Department
    Last Updated:
    Printed on:
    Copyright statement:
    SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2018