Latest bushfire information from the CFS
Land agent registration
Individuals and companies must be registered as land agents with Consumer and Business Services (CBS) if they carry on a business that:
- buys, sells or otherwise deals with land or businesses - this includes property management
- negotiates the buying or selling of land or businesses.
Land agents are also called real estate agents.
Who should register
Registration can be issued to:
- body corporates - eg companies
- partnerships - all partners must be individually registered.
If your registration has been cancelled you'll need to apply again.
Lawyers and mortgage financiers dealing with land or business sales as part of their work don't need to register.
Employee sales representatives will notice a change to their conditions the next time they next renew their registration. Conditions have been expanded to give a clearer description of the work that sales reps are authorised to do. The scope of work has not changed and existing sales reps don't need to do anything.
What you'll need
Check you have the right qualifications to register.
Auctioneers need to be qualified as either a land agent or a sales representative.
Offences and convictions
You won't be able to register if you (or a director of the company) has been convicted of an 'indictable offence' of dishonesty, or convicted of a 'summary offence' of dishonesty within the past 10 years.
You will not be eligible for registration if you are:
- currently bankrupt or insolvent
- in financial receivership
- a director of a company that was wound up to pay creditors in the last five years. This includes if you were a director six months before winding up started.
Include with your application a copy of your National Police Certificate (NPC) no more than 12 months old.
Apply for an NPC through:
- South Australia Police
- National police checking service - Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission
You do not need an NPC if you:
- are director of a company listed on the Australian Stock Exchange
- have lodged an NPC with CBS within the last year
- are an overseas resident and have never lived in Australia
- have held a licence within the last year and are applying for an equivalent licence
- have already supplied an NPC for a different licence issued under th Land Agents Act 1994.
Real estate professionals need to renew their registration every 12 months.
Make sure you have your licence number ready to renew online. You can pay by credit card using our secure service.
Phone 1300 668 531
Make sure you have your licence ready when you call. You can pay by credit card.
All real estate registrations are now digital and a physical card is not required. You can download your licence or registration to an Apple or Android smart phone or tablet using the mySA GOV app. For more information visit my.sa.gov.au.
If there are situations where digital display is not possible - eg no internet coverage or a faulty phone - CBS officers checking for compliance will use alternative methods to check you are appropriately registered.
How to access your digital registration - Consumer and Business Services
Changes that affect registration
Notify CBS within 14 days if you have committed an offence or have had legal restrictions placed on your work or business, such as bankruptcy, financial receivership, suspended or disqualified work licence.
You will also need to advise CBS when you: