Apply for a marriage or relationship certificate

If you and your immediate family have been affected by a natural disaster you can apply for a free replacement birth, marriage and change of name certificate. See information about how to apply on the CBS website.

Marriage certificates are normally used to prove identity, research family history or to show a name change when someone takes on their partner’s name.

A certificate can only be issued if the marriage or relationship was registered in South Australia. If the marriage or relationship occurred outside of South Australia, contact the Registry of that state, territory or country.

Relationship certificates are usually needed to prove that a relationship has been registered.

Commemorative certificates are also available.

  • The people who are named on the registration can apply for a certificate.
  • Anyone can access a certificate that's more than 75 years old.
  • Certain people can apply for someone else's certificate. Who can apply?

You'll need to supply information about the people whose certificate you want, and proof of your identity.

Standard certificate - $57.50
Standard and commemorative certificates - $81.50

What you'll need

You'll need to know basic information such as the couple's names and the date of the marriage or registration.

Proof of identity

You need to prove your identity unless you are applying for a certificate that's more than 75 years old.

You'll need to provide one of these combinations of documents:

  • TWO documents from list 1
  • ONE document from list 1 and ONE document from either list 2 or 3
  • ONE document from list 2 and TWO documents from list 3
  • THREE documents from list 3.

At least one document must show your name and address and one document must show your signature.

All identification documents must be current (not expired). Where a document from list 3 is provided as evidence of your address, it must have been issued within the last three months.

You can upload scanned or photographed images of your ID documents.

If you are applying online, you must include a document from list 1, or your medicare card, to be verified by the online Document Verification Service (DVS). If you live overseas, you can use your overseas driver’s licence or passport.

List 1List 2List 3
Australian passport Government employee photo ID card Bank statement
Australian driver’s licenceOverseas driver’s licenceCouncil rates notice
Centrelink concession cardTertiary student ID cardUtility account statement (electricity, gas, water)
 Overseas passportProof of age card
 Aviation/maritime security ID cardTenancy or lease agreement
 Medicare cardMotor vehicle registration papers
 Australian firearms licenceTelephone or mobile account
 Security guard or crowd control licenceATO notice of assessment
  Mortgage documents
  Australian Electoral Commission enrolment
  Seniors card
  Superannuation fund statement
  Certified academic university transcript
  Credit or debit card

Ways to pay

You can pay for your certificate:

  • in person - cash, cheque, money order, credit/debit card
  • by post - cheque, money order, credit card
  • online - credit card.

Make cheques payable to Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Occasionally Consumer and Business Services (CBS) can't find a record to match an application. If this happens, a 'no record' certificate is issued and a search fee of $57.50 for each ten-year period is charged.

Processing times

Processing times can vary depending on the date of the certificate.

Check estimated processing times on the CBS website to work out how long it will take to get your certificate.

Fast track option

An application can be fast-tracked by paying a priority fee of $43.75.

Priority service processing times for online, posted or regional Service SA applications - processed within 1 business day.

Processing time doesn't include delivery by Australia Post. Visit for delivery information.

Fast tracking is not available for commemorative certificates, unregistered events or certificates more than 75 years old.

Contact Births, Deaths and Marriages

Phone: 131 882
International: +61 8 8204 8532

GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001

Contact Births, Deaths and Marriages

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 16 February 2023

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023