Register a relationship
Registering your relationship with Consumer and Business Services (CBS) means that your relationship is legally recognised. It can make it easier to access entitlements and assert your rights, including in medical situations. Registering your relationship isn't the same as getting married.
Who can register
You can register your relationship if you're 18 years of age or older and in a relationship with another person as a couple. At least one of you must live in South Australia. Couples may apply irrespective of their sex or gender identity.
Your relationship can't be registered if you or your partner are:
- already in a registered relationship or corresponding law registered relationship
- in a relationship as a couple with another person
- related by family.
Registering a relationship
When you apply you’ll need to upload these documents:
- certified copies of identity documents for both people in the relationship - proof of ID form (PDF 121KB)
- a certified copy of a document that proves at least one person is currently living in South Australia
- if either party has previously been married, in a registered relationship or corresponding law registered relationship, you must upload a certified copy of evidence that the previous relationship has ended.
What happens next
We'll email you a statutory declaration, which must be signed by both parties in front of an authorised witness. You'll be asked to upload your signed statutory declarations.
We'll then check your uploaded documents and process your application. The earliest your relationship can be registered is 28 days after your application has been processed. You can't fast track this registration.
Check our estimated processing times on the CBS website to work out how long it will currently take to process your application.
Contact the Department of Home Affairs (Australian Government) to find out if registering your relationship can support your visa application.
Check with the relevant authorities - eg Australian Passport Office - to find out what evidence is needed if you decide to take on your partner's surname. Visit register a change of name for more information.
Withdraw an application
One or both of you can withdraw the application to register a relationship within 28 days of lodging the form.
Ending a relationship
If a relationship breaks down, either of you can apply to revoke the registration.