Find out the most recent information on South Australia's response to the Coronavirus pandemic.

Learn more

Apply for a death certificate

Death certificates are often needed to finalise a person's estate. They are also commonly used to research family histories.

The funeral director usually applies for a death certificate when they register a death.

To apply for a death certificate you need to be:

  • a parent or child of the deceased person
  • their spouse - evidence is needed if surnames are different
  • a legal guardian - evidence is needed for non-parent guardians
  • the executor of their estate, an administrator or trustee - evidence is needed
  • have power of attorney or written authority to act on the person’s behalf - evidence is needed.

Anyone can access an historical death certificate (more than 30 years old).

You'll need to supply basic information about the person whose certificate you want, and proof of your identity.

Fee: $54.50

Other ways to apply

What you'll need

You will need to provide basic information about the person, such as their name and the date and place they died. In most cases you'll also need to provide evidence of your eligibility to apply (usually this is defined by your relationship to the deceased person).

Proof of identity

You will need to prove your identity unless you’re applying for a death certificates that's more than 30 years old.

Applying in person or by post

If applying in person or by post, you will need one of these showing your photo, current name, postal address and signature:

  • current Australian driver’s licence
  • proof of age card.

If you don't have either of those, CBS will accept two of the following, showing your current name and postal address on one and your signature on the other:

  • passport
  • Centrelink or health care card
  • pension, seniors or veteran's card
  • credit or debit card, bank statement
  • occupational licence - eg builders licence
  • defence force or police service ID card
  • current Australian firearms licence
  • electricity or gas utilities account
  • telephone or mobile phone account.

Applying online

If you apply online you can upload scanned or photographed images of your ID.

Ways to pay

You can pay for your certificate:

  • in person - cash, cheque, money order, credit/debit card
  • by post - cheque, money order, credit card
  • if you apply online - credit card.

Make cheques payable to Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Occasionally CBS can't find a record to match an application. If this happens, a 'no record' certificate is issued and a search fee of $54.50 for each ten-year period is charged.

Contact Births, Deaths and Marriages

Phone: 131 882

In person:
91 Grenfell Street

GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 26 February 2020

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2020