Get the most recent information on South Australia's response to the Coronavirus pandemic.

Learn more

Apply for a birth certificate

Birth certificates are usually needed when people want to prove their identity for things like passports or claiming government benefits. They are also commonly used to research family histories.

You must register the birth of your child before applying for a birth certificate.

Commemorative certificates are also available.

  • Anyone born in South Australia can apply for their own birth certificate.
  • Anyone can access an historical birth certificate (more than 100 years old).
  • Certain people can apply for a copy of someone else's certificate. Who can apply?

You'll need to supply basic information about the person whose certificate you want, and proof of your identity.

Standard certificate - $54.50
Standard and commemorative certificate - $77.00

Other ways to apply

What you'll need

You'll need to provide basic information about the person, such as names of parents, and date and place of birth. You will need to advise if the information isn't available; for instance, an adult separated from their birth family at a young age.

Proof of identity

Applicants need to prove their identity unless they are applying for a birth certificate that's more than 100 years old.

Applying in person or by post

If applying in person or by post, you will need one of these showing your photo, current name, postal address and signature:

  • current Australian driver’s licence
  • proof of age card.

If you don't have either of those, CBS will accept two of the following, showing your current name and postal address on one and your signature on the other:

  • passport
  • Centrelink or health care card
  • pension, seniors or veteran's card
  • credit or debit card, bank statement
  • occupational licence - eg builders licence
  • defence force or police service ID card
  • current Australian firearms licence
  • electricity or gas utilities account
  • telephone or mobile phone account.

Applying online

If you apply online you can upload scanned or photographed images of your ID.

Ways to pay

You can pay for your certificate:

  • in person - cash, cheque, money order, credit/debit card
  • by post - cheque, money order, credit card
  • if you apply online - credit card.

Make cheques payable to Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Occasionally CBS can't find a record to match an application. If this happens, a 'no record' certificate is issued and a search fee of $54.50 for each ten-year period is charged.

Processing times

Processing times can vary depending on the date of the certificate.

Check estimated processing times on the CBS website to work out how long it will take to get your certificate.

Fast track option

An application can be fast-tracked by paying a priority fee of $41.50. Certificates can be collected from the CBS Customer Service Centre in Adelaide, or sent by express post. There is no extra postage cost for a fast-tracked certificate sent by express post.

Priority service processing times:

  • CBS Customer Service Centre applications - 30 mins
  • online or posted applications - available for collection or posted within 24 hours.

Fast tracking is not available for commemorative certificates or birth certificates more than 100 years old.

Contact Births, Deaths and Marriages

Phone: 131 882

GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 26 February 2020

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2020