Apply for a change of name certificate

Change of name certificates are usually needed when people want to prove their identity for things like passports and claiming government benefits after they have registered a change of name.

If you were married in Australia and wish to take on your partner's surname, you should apply for a marriage certificate to use as evidence of your new surname.

1. Check eligibility

Who can apply

2. Application form

Complete and sign the form -  Apply for a change of name certificate (184.9 KB PDF).

3. Supporting evidence

Attach copies of the required ID to your application - what you'll need.

4. Payment

Include payment of $55.50 - payment options

5. Lodgement

Post your application to:

Births, Deaths and Marriages
Consumer and Business Services
GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001

If your application is urgent it can be lodged at the CBS Customer Service Centre. There's an additional fee for urgent applications.

What you'll need

You'll need to provide one of these combinations of documents:

  • TWO documents from list 1
  • ONE document from list 1 and ONE document from either list 2 or 3
  • ONE document from list 2 and TWO documents from list 3
  • THREE documents from list 3.

At least one document must show your name and address and one document must show your signature.

All identification documents must be current (not expired). Where a document from list 3 is provided as evidence of your address, it must have been issued within the last three months.

You can upload scanned or photographed images of your ID documents.

If you are applying online, you must include a document from list 1, or your medicare card, to be verified by the online Document Verification Service (DVS). If you live overseas, you can use your overseas driver’s licence or passport.

List 1List 2List 3
Australian passport Government employee photo ID card Bank statement
Australian driver’s licenceOverseas driver’s licenceCouncil rates notice
Centrelink concession cardTertiary student ID cardUtility account statement (electricity, gas, water)
 Overseas passportProof of age card
 Aviation/maritime security ID cardTenancy or lease agreement
 Medicare cardMotor vehicle registration papers
 Australian firearms licenceTelephone or mobile account
 Security guard or crowd control licenceATO notice of assessment
  Mortgage documents
  Australian Electoral Commission enrollment
  Seniors card
  Superannuation fund statement
  Certified academic university transcript
  Credit or debit card

Payment options

Fees for certificates cover the search of the register - $55.50

You can pay for your certificate:
  • in person - cash, cheque, money order, credit or debit card
  • by post - cheque, money order, credit card.

Cheques should be made payable to Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Occasionally, CBS can't find a record to match an application. If this happens, a 'no record' certificate is issued and a search fee of $55.50 for each ten-year period is charged.

Estimated processing times

Check estimated processing times on the Consumer and Business Services (CBS) website to work out how long it will take to get your certificate.

Fast track option

Your application can be fast-tracked by paying a priority fee of $42.25. Certificates can be picked up from the CBS Customer Service Centre in Adelaide or sent by express post. There is no extra postage cost to have your fast-tracked certificate sent by express post.

Priority service processing times:

  • CBS Customer Service Centre applications – 30 minutes
  • posted applications – available for collection or posted within 24 hours.

Contact Births, Deaths and Marriages

Phone: 131 882

GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001

Related information

    Other websites

    Was this page useful?

    Page last updated 6 July 2020

    Provided by:
    Attorney-General's Department
    Last Updated:
    Printed on:
    Copyright statement:
    SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2020