Apply for a marriage or relationship certificate

Marriage certificates are normally used to prove identity, research family history or to show a name change when someone takes on their partner’s name.

Relationship certificates are usually needed to prove that a relationship has been registered.

Commemorative certificates are also available.

Who can apply

The people who are named on the registration can apply for a certificate. Other people who can apply are:

  • a child of the couple
  • a child of one person named on the certificate - authorised under the Adoption Act 1988, subsection 41(4)
  • an executor of their estate, administrator or trustee - evidence of authority and relationship to the deceased needed
  • someone with written authority or power of attorney - evidence of authority needed.

Anyone can access a certificate that's more than 75 years old.

What you'll need

You will need to know basic information such as the couple's names and the date of the marriage or registration.

Proof of identity

You will need to prove your identity unless you're applying for a certificate that's more than 75 years old.

If you're applying in person or by post, you will need either a:

  • current Australian driver's licence
  • proof of age card.

If you don’t have those as proof, CBS will accept any two of the following, which show your current name and address on one, and your signature on the other:

  • passport
  • Centrelink or health care card
  • pension, seniors or veteran’s card
  • credit or debit card, bank statement
  • occupational  licence -  eg builders licence
  • defence force or police service ID card
  • current Australian firearms licence
  • electricity, gas or utilities account
  • telephone or mobile account.

If applying online you can either:

  • answer a series of questions about the registration and the certificate will be posted by registered person-to-person post.
  • upload scanned or photographed images of your identification documents.


Fees for certificates cover the search of the register:

Occasionally Consumer and Business Services (CBS) can't find a record to match an application. If this happens, a 'no record' certificate is issued and a search fee of $54.50 for each ten-year period is charged.

Processing times

Processing times can vary depending on the date on the certificate. Check estimated processing times on the CBS website to work out how long it will take to get your certificate.

Check current processing times

Your application can be fast-tracked by paying a priority fee of $41.50. Certificates can be collected from the CBS Customer Service Centre in Adelaide or sent by express post at no extra cost.

Priority service processing times:

  • CBS Customer Service Centre applications - 30 minutes
  • online or posted applications - available for collection or posted within 24 hours.

Paying for your certificate

You can pay for your certificate:

  • in person - cash, cheque, money order, credit or debit card
  • by post - cheque, money order, credit card
  • online - credit card.

Cheques should be made payable to Births, Deaths and Marriages.

How to apply

You can only apply for relationship certificates online.


Apply on the Consumer and Business Services website.

Apply now


1. Application form

Complete and sign the form:

Apply for a marriage certificate (184.9 KB PDF)

2. Supporting evidence

Attach copies of the required ID to your application.

3. Lodgement

Post to:

Births, Deaths and Marriages
Consumer and Business Services
GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001

In person

1. Application form

Complete and sign the form:

Apply for a marriage certificate (184.9 KB PDF)

2. Supporting evidence

Attach copies of the required ID to your application.

3. Lodgement

Take your application to the CBS Customer Service Centre or a regional Service SA location.

Related information

On this site

Researching your family history

Other websites

Contact Births, Deaths and Marriages

Phone: 131 882

In person:
91 Grenfell Street

GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why.

If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 4 October 2019

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2019