Register a change of name

You don’t need to register your new name with Consumer and Business Services if you get married in Australia and take your partner's surname or decide to go back to your surname before marriage. You should provide a copy of your official marriage certificate to the relevant authority (ie Australian Passport Office) as evidence of your new surname.

If you were married overseas and want to take on your partner’s surname, you should contact the relevant authority or business, such as your bank or the Australian Passport Office to see what evidence you need to give them.

To change your name on documents such as your passport or driver’s licence, you must do so directly with the relevant authority, such as Service SA or the Australian Passport Office. They will tell you what evidence you need to give them.

Who can apply

You can register a change of name with CBS if:

  • you were born in South Australia
  • you were born overseas, but you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident and have lived in South Australia for at least the last twelve months.

CBS can accept one name change every 12 months, and you can only change your name three times in your lifetime. Permission from the relevant authorities is required for:

  • serious sex offenders
  • serious violent offenders
  • prisoners
  • parolees.

The list of registry approved witnesses has been expanded as part of the COVID-19 emergency regulations (PDF 62KB). They are able to:

  • take statutory declarations
  • certify your identity documents
  • witness your forms.

Check estimated processing times on the CBS website to work out how long it will take to register your change of name.

Priority service is only available in exceptional circumstances (for example urgent travel) and you must provide evidence to support your priority application.

For more information about priority applications, please contact Births, Deaths and Marriages.


1. Registration form

Complete and sign the form - Register a change of name adult (PDF 122KB)

Complete and sign the form - Register a change of name child (PDF 122KB)

2. Supporting evidence

You will need to provide ID and evidence to support your registration.

3. Lodgement

Post the completed form and certified copies of your ID to:

Births, Deaths and Marriages
Consumer and Business Services
GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001

Make sure your application is complete before attending; otherwise it may be returned to you.


The following registration fees apply:

  • register a change of name for an adult or child’s name (includes a new birth certificate or change of name certificate) - $265.50
  • register a change of name by order of the court or tribunal (includes a new birth certificate or change of name certificate) - $111.00

You can pay for your registration by:

  • cheque
  • money order
  • credit card.

Cheques should be made payable to Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Contact Births, Deaths and Marriages

Phone: 131 882

GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 7 August 2020

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2020