Births, deaths and marriages

Apply for a change of name certificate

Change of name certificates are usually needed when people want to prove their identity for things like passports and claiming government benefits.

Who can apply

The person whose name is on the registration can apply for a certificate. Other people who can apply are:

  • a child's parent, if the child is aged less than 18 years ­– evidence needed
  • a child's legal guardian, if the child is aged less than 18 years - evidence needed
  • an executor of their estate, administrator or trustee – evidence of authority needed
  • someone with written authority or power of attorney – evidence of authority needed.

The same eligibility covers birth certificates with a change of name noted on them.

What you'll need

Applicants need to prove their identity and provide photo ID.  You will need either a:

  • current Australian driver's licence
  • proof of age card.

If you don’t have the above proof, we will accept any two of the following:

  • passport
  • Centrelink or health care card
  • pension, seniors or veteran's card
  • credit or debit card, bank statement
  • Business and Occupational Services licence
  • defence force or police service ID card
  • current Australian firearms licence
  • electricity, gas or other utility accounts
  • telephone or mobile phone account.

These documents must show your current name and address on at least one, and your signature on the other.


Fees for certificates cover the search of the register – $48.75.

Occasionally, CBS can't find a record to match an application. If this happens, a 'no record' certificate is issued and a search fee of $48.75 for each ten-year period is charged.

Priority services

The extra cost for fast-tracking a certificate is $37. Certificates can be picked up from the CBS Customer Service Centre in Adelaide.

Processing times:

  • counter applications – 30 mins
  • posted applications – same-day service.

Additional postage costs

Please include the appropriate postage amount with your application:

  • registered person-to-person post for online applications – $9.15
  • international registered post for online applications – $13.45
  • express post (within Australia) – $5.70
  • international express post – $14.45.

Paying for your certificate

You can pay for your certificate:

  • in person – cash, cheque, money order, credit or debit card
  • by post – cheque, money order, credit card.

Cheques should be made payable to Births, Deaths and Marriages.

How to apply

1. Application form

Complete and sign the form – Apply for a change of name certificate (184.9 KB PDF).

2. Supporting evidence

Attach copies of the required ID to your application.

3. Lodgement

Take your application to the Consumer and Business Services (CBS) Customer Service Centre or post it to:

Births, Deaths and Marriages
Consumer and Business Services
GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001

Related information

On this site

Other websites

Contact Births, Deaths and Marriages


131 882

In person

91 Grenfell Street


GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you need a response send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 3 July 2017

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence. © Copyright 2016