Vehicle identity inspections
Some vehicles may require a vehicle identity inspection (tier 2) before they can be registered in South Australia.
When the inspections are required
A vehicle must be inspected if it:
- was last registered interstate, unless it is to be registered in South Australia under exactly the same name as its current (or expired less than three months) registration
- is from overseas
- has an unknown registration (plate) number
- was a Commonwealth-registered vehicle
- was previously registered in South Australia, but the vehicle details (such as engine and vehicle identification numbers) do not match records or are unknown
- is a one-off new construction
- is a new vehicle from interstate and the applicant is unable to provide evidence of purchase such as an invoice from the dealership
- is a repaired written-off vehicle - see Tier 3 identity inspection .
Presenting a vehicle for inspection
All vehicles to be inspected must be driven in and out of the inspection facility, and must have one of the following:
- current South Australian or interstate registration
- unregistered vehicle permit (not required if trailered or not driven to the inspection facility)
- trade plate (the trade plate owner must have some financial interest in the vehicle).
Vehicles transported to the facility by trailer or other means must be offloaded and driven into the facility at the time of inspection.
Vehicle inspection locations
The Vehicle Identification Inspections fact sheet includes maps for the Regency Park and Lonsdale stations.
Metropolitan vehicle identity assessment station
7 Naweena Road
Regency Park SA 5010
Phone 8400 8777
Open 8.00 am to 4.30 pm Monday to Friday. No appointment needed.
Southern vehicle identity assessment station
Unit 2/7 Ellemsea Circuit
Lonsdale SA 5160
Phone 8307 0350
This station only inspects passenger light vehicles.
Open Wednesday and Thursday only
9.00 am to 3.00 pm (closed from 12.30 to 1.00 pm)
No appointment needed.
Mount Gambier and surrounding districts
Mount Gambier vehicle inspection station
322 Commercial Street West
Mount Gambier SA 5290
Open Monday to Friday 8.00 am to 11.30 am. No appointment needed.
Other country areas
Inspections can be carried out by the South Australia police in country areas if:
- you live more than 40 kilometres from the Adelaide GPO
- your local police station is more 40 kilometres from the Adelaide GPO
- you are a resident in the local police response area
- you can supply proof of vehicle ownership.
Contact your local country police station to make an appointment for the inspection.
After the inspection
You will receive a vehicle identity inspection report, which is required when registering a vehicle. It is valid for three calendar months from the time of the inspection.