Apply for an unregistered vehicle permit

If you need to relocate an unregistered vehicle as a result of the River Murray flood, you can apply for a permit and make payment by calling 1300 321 989.

If you need to drive an unregistered vehicle on the road for an inspection, repairs, to attend a car event or rally or to relocate the vehicle, you can apply for an unregistered vehicle permit.

Unregistered vehicle permits are not available for vehicles being used for hire, reward, to carry a load or for commercial purposes.

The journey must start in South Australia. Where a permit is required for interstate travel, it is advisable to check with the interstate authority to ensure the permit is valid for the nominated journey.

Apply online if you have a mySAGOV account. Create an account if you don't already have one.

You'll need:

  • number plate details
  • vehicle identification number (VIN) or engine number
  • type and make of vehicle
  • reason for the permit
  • the route and specific time to be driven
  • access to a printer.

Some permits can't be issued online - eg left-hand drive vehicle permits that require a left-hand drive exemption certificate, or defected vehicles with a lift and tow restriction.


Check unregistered vehicle permit fees

Other ways to apply

If you can't apply online, complete an application form (214.9 KB PDF), and take it to a Service SA customer service centre with the appropriate fee or call 13 10 84.

What happens next

The permit must be attached to the windscreen of your vehicle, or if the vehicle does not have a windscreen, the permit must be carried with you while driving the vehicle.

Permits may be granted for a maximum of three days but are usually only issued for as long as necessary - eg one day for a vehicle inspection.

No refund is paid if a permit is cancelled.

Lost or damaged permit

If an unregistered vehicle permit is lost or damaged, access the permit and print a free replacement from a mySAGOV account providing the permit is not expired.

To access the permit:

  • log in to your mySAGOV account:
  • under the My services menu select View My Documents
  • select Download Document to access a PDF copy of the permit.

Contact Service SA


Only send general enquiries online. Service SA will respond within three working days.

If the matter is urgent or is specifically about your current licence or registration, phone or visit a customer service centre instead.

Enquire now


Call Service SA between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays:

In person

Service SA Customer Service Centre locations and opening hours.

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 3 January 2023

Provided by:
Department for Infrastructure and Transport
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023