Check that a vehicle is registered
All vehicles used on South Australian roads must be registered. If you use an unregistered vehicle on the road you may be committing an offence and may not be covered by a compulsory third party insurance policy.
Heavy penalties apply for driving an unregistered vehicle and uninsured vehicle.
South Australia Police can check a vehicle’s registration status instantly.
How to check
There's a number of quick and easy ways to check if a vehicle is registered. This is of particular importance if you are driving someone else's car. If you are in any doubt as to whether a vehicle is registered or not, it is always advisable to check.
You can check:
- online using EzyReg
- by EzyReg smartphone app
- by phone 13 10 84 Monday to Friday 8.00 am to 6.00 pm
- the registration expiry date on your registration details certificate .
A full list of the expiation penalties that apply can be found in:
- Motor Vehicles Regulations 2010 [Schedule 5 - Expiation fees]
- Road Traffic (Miscellaneous) Regulations [Schedule 9 - Expiation fees]
- Victims of Crime (Fund and Levy) Regulations 2003 [Schedule 1 - Victims of crime levy]