Renew vehicle registration
Renew your vehicle, trailer or motorbike registration for 3 or 12 months.
To renew registration online you'll need to identify the vehicle using one of these:
- the payment number (found on the registration renewal notice)
- the plate number and the driver's licence/client number of the registered owner.
You can also renew online with a mySA GOV account.
What happens next
Once the registration has been paid, you can print a receipt or have one emailed to a nominated address.
Commencement and expiry dates
Registration paid early (before the expiry date) will commence the day after the existing expiry date.
Registration is valid until midnight of the expiry date - eg if a registration is due to expire on the 26 June, the vehicle can be driven up until midnight on the 26 June.
Expired registrations can still be renewed online. You will be given two options:
- renew the registration for 3 or 12 months from the old expiry date
- elect to re-register for 3 or 12 months from the date of payment. Note, a higher administration fee will apply.
In both circumstances the vehicle is deemed unregistered for the period between the expiry date and time of payment.
If you are eligible for a registration concession and it has not been applied to your renewal notice see registration and licence concessions for how to apply.
If you have a concession and it has been applied to your renewal notice, this will be validated during the renewal process.
Input tax credit (ITC) entitlement
When you renew your registration, you must declare any input tax credit (ITC) entitlement.
Generally, to be able to claim this, the vehicle owner would be:
- registered for GST with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) (or be required to be registered)
- using the vehicle for business purposes.
The ATO website has more information on claiming GST credits.
Contact Service SA
Only send general enquiries online. Service SA will respond within three working days.
If the matter is urgent or is specifically about your current licence or registration, phone or visit a customer service centre instead.
Call Service SA between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays:
Service SA Customer Service Centre locations and opening hours.