Driving an overseas registered vehicle

This information will help you if you are driving a vehicle that is registered overseas - whether you are visiting temporarily or have recently become a permanent resident.

Applying for an international visitor's permit

Visitors travelling in a vehicle that is registered overseas need to apply for an international visitor's permit to drive the vehicle in South Australia.

An international visitor's permit cannot be issued until the vehicle has arrived in Australia and a compulsory third party insurance fee will apply for the period the vehicle is to be used in Australia.

Complete an application for an international visitor's vehicle permit at a Service SA customer service centre.

You will also need to provide evidence that the vehicle has entered Australia legally. The following documentation may be used as evidence:

  • carnet - a customs licence permitting motorists to take their cars to various countries
  • triptych - similar to a carnet, but valid for one trip only
  • bond - a document lodged with Australian Customs Service.

Registering a vehicle imported from overseas

New residents wishing to drive an imported vehicle in South Australia must apply for a licence and register the vehicle within three months of moving here permanently. An imported vehicle must be registered in South Australia before it can be driven on the road.

See Importing and registering a vehicle from overseas for requirements to register an imported vehicle in South Australia.

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 22 June 2020

Provided by:
Department for Infrastructure and Transport
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023