Cancel vehicle registration
Follow these steps if you need to cancel your vehicle registration.
1. Application form
Complete an application to cancel registration .
Application forms are also available from any Service SA customer service centre.
2. Surrender the number plates
You will need to surrender the number plates when you lodge the application. If you are unable to surrender the plates telephone 13 10 84 or contact a Service SA customer service centre.
3. Evidence of identity
Provide evidence that the registration label has been destroyed (for heavy vehicles only).
You can take the current label when you lodge the application or provide an inspection certificate, or a statutory declaration stating that the label has been destroyed. This must be witnessed by a customer service centre officer, Justice of the Peace or a police officer.
Lodge the application together with the items above, at a Service SA customer service centre.
- A refund is calculated on your vehicle's annual registration fee.
- A pro-rata refund is provided on the Compulsory Third Party insurance premium and the lifetime support scheme levy.
- A cancellation fee is deducted from any refund due.
- All refunds will be forwarded by cheque.
- A refund will not be issued on the cancellation of an Unregistered Vehicle Permit.
- No refund is issued on the stamp duty on the Compulsory Third Party insurance or the Emergency Services Levy.
- The Administration fee charged for a renewal of registration or a new registration is not refundable.
If you want to re-register a vehicle and the number plates have been surrendered new number plates will be issued upon payment of the fee.