Register an expired SA second-hand vehicle

When you acquire an unregistered South Australian vehicle (including a trailer, caravan or motorcycle), you must apply to register the vehicle in your name before you can use it on the road.

If there's no change in ownership go to renew registration instead.

Additional requirement for heavy vehicles

To register an expired SA vehicle you must:

  • hold a SA driver’s licence or have previously registered a vehicle in your name in SA
  • be registering a vehicle that was previously registered in SA.

Application for registration and compulsory third party insurance
(74.6 KB PDF)

In person

Present the completed application form to a Service SA customer service centre and pay the fee. The applicant is required to attend in person.  A third party may present on behalf of the applicant, but must produce evidence of Power of Attorney or a SACAT Administration Order.


Mail the completed application with the correct fee. Payment is by cheque or money order.

Service SA
GPO Box 1533
Adelaide SA 5001


You will need to pay:

  • registration fees
  • stamp duty - use the calculator. Stamp duty does not apply for trailers or caravans with a GTM of 4.5 tonnes or less.

Heavy vehicles

If the vehicle or trailer has a gross vehicle mass (GVM) or aggregate trailer mass (ATM) over 4.5 tonnes, and is three years or older from date of manufacture then a change of ownership inspection will be required.

Contact Service SA


Only send general enquiries online. Service SA will respond within three working days.

If the matter is urgent or is specifically about your current licence or registration, phone or visit a customer service centre instead.

Enquire now


Call Service SA between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays:

In person

Service SA Customer Service Centre locations and opening hours.

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 20 February 2023

Provided by:
Department for Infrastructure and Transport
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023