Transfer vehicle registration between married or de facto partners

Registration of a vehicle may be transferred between married or de facto couples without payment of stamp duty.

How to apply

Complete a statutory declaration form 71CB. The form must be signed and witnessed by a Justice of the Peace.

Lodge the application for transfer of registration at a Service SA customer service centre.

What you'll need

You'll need the vehicle’s registration details certificate.

If you don't have your vehicle's registration certificate you will need to arrange a replacement certificate.


See the fees page for vehicle registration fees.

The statutory declaration does not exempt you from paying the transfer fee.

Contact Service SA


Only send general enquiries online. Service SA will respond within three working days.

If the matter is urgent or is specifically about your current licence or registration, phone or visit a customer service centre instead.

Enquire now


Call Service SA between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays:

In person

Service SA Customer Service Centre locations and opening hours.

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 17 May 2021

Provided by:
Department for Infrastructure and Transport
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023