Transfer a vehicle registration
When you are the new owner or buyer of an SA-registered vehicle (including a car, caravan, motorcycle or trailer), you must transfer the registration within 14 days or you'll have to pay a late transfer fee of $99.
There is a different process if you are the seller of a vehicle.
Circumstances where you can't transfer online - for example, the vehicle is unregistered.
You can transfer registration online if you have a mySAGOV account.
- the plate number
- the seller’s SA driver’s licence or client number
- the seller’s name.
You will need to pay:
Stamp duty doesn't apply for trailers or caravans with a GTM of 4.5 tonnes or less.
Reasons you can't transfer online
To transfer registration online you must have a mySAGOV account.
Online transfer isn't available if:
- the vehicle is unregistered
- the vehicle is from interstate
- the vehicle is conditionally registered
- the registration is being transferred between partners
- the registration is being settled as part of a deceased estate
- you're eligible for a registration concession and would like to apply it to the vehicle
- new number plates are required - eg the previous owner had special number plates on the vehicle
- a change of ownership inspection is required because it's a heavy vehicle or trailer which is 3 years or older from the date of manufacture.
Proof of ownership
The registration certificate does not prove legal ownership of a vehicle. If you are the buyer of a vehicle, it is recommended you obtain a receipt as proof the vehicle has been purchased. The receipt should include:
- your name, address and signature
- the seller's name, address and signature,
- the vehicle’s details such as plate number, vehicle identification number (VIN), engine number, make and model.
- details of the sale including the date, and price paid.
Contact Service SA
Only send general enquiries online. Service SA will respond within 3 working days.
If the matter is urgent or is specifically about your current licence or registration, phone or visit a Service SA centre instead.
Call Service SA between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays:
Service SA centre locations and opening hours.