Lodge a disposal notice

If you sell or dispose of a vehicle, you must notify Service SA. If you don’t, you could be held responsible for parking and other driving offences until the new owner transfers the registration into their name.

If you want to cancel the registration rather than transfer it to the new owner, you must also do this within seven days.

Notify Service SA online using a mySAGOV account.

There is no fee to lodge a disposal notice.

Other ways to lodge a notice

What you'll need

You'll need:

  • the buyer's:
    • date of birth
    • first and last name
    • South Australian driver's licence or client number
  • the date and time of sale, and the selling price.

If you don't have all of the buyer's details, or have sold the vehicle interstate, see other ways to lodge a notice.

If you don't authorise the transfer of remaining registration to the buyer, you must declare this when lodging a notice of disposal online. You can then cancel the registration from your account. You should advise the buyer that the vehicle will be unregistered. Cancellation is not automatic and must be completed separately.

If you have special plates and want to keep them, you need to visit a Service SA customer service centre to get new general-issue plates before you sell your vehicle. A new plate fee applies.

Contact Service SA


Only send general enquiries online. Service SA will respond within three working days.

If the matter is urgent or is specifically about your current licence or registration, phone or visit a customer service centre instead.

Enquire now


Call Service SA between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays:

In person

Service SA Customer Service Centre locations and opening hours.

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 4 March 2022

Provided by:
Department for Infrastructure and Transport
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2022