Minors in licensed venues

It is against the law to sell or supply alcohol to a minor, or for a minor to buy or drink alcohol in a licensed venue. If someone complains that you have sold alcohol to a minor and you are convicted, the court will:

  • take disciplinary action
  • suspend your licence if it's a first offence
  • revoke your licence if it's not the first offence or not the first time disciplinary action has been taken.

You can be fined and the court can limit:

  • the kinds of alcohol you can sell
  • the times alcohol can be sold
  • your responsibilities under the licence.

Minors in licensed venues

Minors are permitted to attend and remain on premises at licensed venues such as restaurants, hotels or small venues such as cafes, during ordinary trading hours (generally until midnight). Between midnight and 5.00 am minors are not permitted.

In premises holding an entertainment venue licence (eg night clubs) minors are not permitted to enter between the hours of 9.00 pm and 5.00 am.

If you are unsure if a minor can attend a licensed premises you should call the venue ahead of time to check the conditions of their licence. For more information refer to the liquor licence general code of practice.

Minors working in licensed venues

Minors can't hold a licence or be in a position of authority in a trust or company, but can hold shares in a private company or be a beneficiary of a trust that has a licence.

Minors can be employed to clear tables or do general cleaning but can't enter gaming areas.

A minor can sell, supply or serve alcohol if they are 16 years or older and:

  • are the child of the licensee
  • are child of the responsible person for the venue
  • are approved by Consumer and Business Services, if they don't live on the premises
  • live on the premises.

Contact CBS Liquor and Gaming

Email: liquorandgaming@sa.gov.au

Phone: 131 882

In person:
91 Grenfell Street

GPO Box 2169
Adelaide SA 5001

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why.

If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 24 January 2019

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2019