When you buy a boat you must ensure it meets compliance standards before it is registered.
Make sure your boat is compliant
Follow these steps to ensure your boat meets required standards.
- When you buy a motorboat, you must register it in your name within 14 days.
- Registration numbers must be displayed correctly.
- The registration label must be affixed correctly.
- Most recreational boats are also required to have an Australian Builders Plate fitted by the manufacturer.
- Boat Code is compulsory for all recreational boats that are registered for the first time or when they change ownership.
- Navigation lights must be fitted if you operate your boat at night. If you have lights fitted, they must meet the legal requirements whether you use them or not.
- For additional safety information see Boating and marine safety.