Interstate vehicle transfer - identity inspection tier 2
Some vehicles may require a vehicle identity inspection (Tier 2) before they can be registered in South Australia.
When the inspections are required
A vehicle must be inspected if it:
- was last registered interstate, unless you hold a current interstate registration certificate in exactly the same name as the intended South Australian registration
- is from overseas
- has an unknown registration (plate) number
- was a Commonwealth-registered vehicle
- was previously registered in South Australia, but the vehicle details (such as engine and vehicle identification numbers) do not match records or are unknown
- is a one-off new construction
- is a new vehicle purchased interstate and is to be registered in South Australia
- is a repaired written-off vehicle (see Tier 3 identity inspection ).
The inspection takes a minimum of one hour and includes a basic safety check.
Conditions of inspection
All vehicles to be inspected must be driven in and out of the inspection facility, and must have one of the following:
- current South Australian or interstate registration
- unregistered vehicle permit
- trade plate (the trade plate owner must have some financial interest in the vehicle).
Vehicles transported to the facility by trailer or other means must be offloaded and driven into the facility before inspection.
Vehicle inspection locations
Metropolitan vehicle identity assessment station
7 Naweena Road
Regency Park SA 5010
Phone 8400 8777
Open 8.00 am to 4.30 pm Monday to Friday - no appointment needed.
Southern vehicle identity assessment station
Unit 2/7 Ellemsea Circuit
Lonsdale SA 5160
Phone 8307 0350
This station only inspects passenger light vehicles.
Open 9.00 am to 12.30 pm and 1.00 pm to 3.00 pm, Wednesday and Thursday only - no appointment needed,
Closed for the Christmas and New Year Period - will re-open on Wednesday 11 January 2017.
The Vehicle Identification Inspections fact sheet includes maps for the Regency Park and Lonsdale stations.
Mount Gambier and surrounding districts
Mount Gambier vehicle inspection station
322 Commercial Street West
Mount Gambier SA 5290
Open 8:00 am to 12:00 noon Monday to Friday - no appointment needed.
Closed for public holidays.
Other country areas
Inspections can be carried out by the South Australia police in country areas if:
- you live more than 40 kilometres from the Adelaide GPO
- your local police station is more 40 kilometres from the Adelaide GPO
- you are a resident in the local police response area
- you can supply proof of vehicle ownership.
Contact your local country police station to make an appointment for the inspection.
After the inspection
You will receive a vehicle identity inspection report, which is required when registering a vehicle. It is valid for three calendar months from the time of the inspection.
For more information phone Service SA on 13 10 84 or go to a Service SA customer service centre.