Vulnerable person-related employment checks

You should have a vulnerable person-related employment check if you:

  • volunteer with community services such as mental health, homelessness, migrant services, women’s services, youth support services
  • work as a health or allied health professionals.

There's no law that requires you to have this check, but an organisation may ask you to have one as a condition of working with them.

Vulnerable person-related employment checks are valid for three years. You can apply for a new check if your existing check will expire within six months.

If your work requires you to have a Working with Children Check or an NDIS worker check you don't need a vulnerable person-related check.

How to apply

For individuals

Your employer will tell you if you need a vulnerable person-related employment check.

You can apply for a new vulnerable person-related employment check if your existing check will expire within six months.

Apply for a screening check

For sole traders, contractors or self-employed workers

If you're a sole trader, contractor or self-employed, and you don't employ workers or volunteers,  apply as as an individual.

If you're a sole trader, contractor or self-employed and you employ workers or volunteers, register as an organisation to apply for a screening check for yourself, and initiate your employees' checks.

For employers and organisations

An employer can initiate a vulnerable person-related employment check on behalf of a current or prospective employee or volunteer.

To do this, your organisation needs to be registered with the Screening Unit. Once you have registered, you can start lodging applications on behalf of individuals.

Register with the screening unit

Before you start an application on behalf of an individual, you will need to know:

  • your organisation’s Screening Unit login details
  • what type of check you need to apply for
  • that the individual has given their consent for your organisation to do a check
  • the individual’s full name, date of birth and email address.

Log in to the portal

When you have completed the organisation component of the application, the Screening Unit will email login and password details to the individual, to complete and submit the application.

Organisations that initiate vulnerable person-related employment checks have the option to use organisation-verified ID, if a verifying officer has been nominated.

Information for check holders

If you've had vulnerable person-related employment check, you must notify the Screening Unit if you:

  • change your name or use another name or names
  • change your address or contact details.

Notify the Screening Unit

After a vulnerable person-related employment check is granted, information sources, including SA Police, are monitored for any new information relevant to a person's check status.

If new information means a person's clearance status is changed or revoked, the person and known organisations will be notified.



Contact the Screening Unit with any queries about new or existing screening checks.

Enquire now


1300 321 592
Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm

This content has recently moved to SA.GOV.AU. We appreciate feedback and comments about your experience.

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 22 September 2023

Provided by:
Department of Human Services
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023