Get the most recent information on South Australia's response to the Coronavirus pandemic.
Screening checks help to ensure that people with a known history of violent or abusive behaviour do not work with children and other vulnerable people in their job or as a volunteer. Sometimes screening is required by law, but in other cases an employer or organisation may decide it's necessary.
Screening checks assess additional information that would not be detected through a standard police check.
Find out what type of check you need - Department of Human Services
Types of check
There are five types of screening check:
- working with children check
- disability services employment
- aged care sector employment
- vulnerable person related employment
- general employment probity.
More about the different types of screening check - Department of Human Services
How to apply
Applications are usually started by an employer or an organisation. Individuals can also apply for their own check. Applicants then receive an email or form with instructions for completing their part of the process.
What happens next
The Screening Unit completes most check applications within three weeks. It can take longer than this if there is a lot of information to assess or it is complex.
Processing can take longer than three weeks if:
- you have relevant criminal history
- other agencies (eg police, other government departments) or individual applicants take a long time to provide information to the Screening Unit
- a large number of applications are submitted at the same time (January to April is usually a busy time of year).
A working with children check is valid for five years. Other checks are valid for three. Individuals will be notified of the outcome of a check by email. The Screening Unit does not issue certificates for any check; employers can check your screening status online.
Applicants for general employment probity screening will not receive a letter as these checks are role-specific and are not portable.
If a current check needs to be renewed, applications should be lodged between three and six months before the expiry date. Simply use the application process outlined above.