Apply for a birth certificate
You must register the birth of your child before applying for a birth certificate.
Birth certificates are usually needed when people want to prove their identity for things like passports or claiming government benefits.
Commemorative certificates are also available.
Who can apply
Anyone born in South Australia can apply for their own birth certificate. Other people who can apply are:
- a child's parent
- a person's child
- a child's legal guardian - evidence is needed for non-parent guardians
- the person's current spouse - evidence is needed if surnames are different
- an executor of their estate, administrator or trustee - evidence of authority is needed
- someone with written authority or power of attorney - evidence of authority is needed.
If you are applying for someone else's certificate, you will need to prove you are eligible, show proof of your connection to the person and give a reason for applying - eg a parent applying for their child's certificate, executor settling a deceased estate.
Birth records more than 100 years old
Anyone can access a historical birth certificate, and they are commonly used to research family histories.
What you'll need
You'll need to provide basic information about the person, such as names of parents, and date and place of birth. You will need to advise if the information isn't available; for instance, an adult separated from their birth family at a young age.
Proof of identity
Applicants need to prove their identity unless they are applying for a birth certificate that's more than 100 years old.
If applying in person or by post, you will need either of these:
- current Australian driver’s licence
- proof of age card.
If you don't have those, CBS will accept two of the following, showing your current name and address on one and your signature on the other:
- Centrelink or health care card
- pension, seniors or veteran's card
- credit or debit card, bank statement
- occupational licence - eg builders licence
- defence force or police service ID card
- current Australian firearms licence
- electricity or gas utilities account
- telephone or mobile phone account.
If you apply online you can either:
- be asked a series of questions about the certificate you are ordering that only you or people close to the registered person will know - we will post the certificate to you by registered person-to-person post
- upload scanned or photographed images of your ID.
How to apply
Apply on the Consumer and Business Services website.
Complete and sign the form - Apply for a birth certificate (184.9 KB PDF).
Post it to:
Births, Deaths and Marriages
Consumer and Business Services
GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001
Fees for certificates cover the search of the register:
- certificate - $54.50
- commemorative certificate (includes standard certificate) - $77.00
Occasionally CBS can't find a record to match an application. If this happens, a 'no record' certificate is issued and a search fee of $54.50 for each ten-year period is charged.
Ways to pay
You can pay for your certificate:
- in person - cash, cheque, money order, credit/debit card
- by post - cheque, money order, credit card
- online - credit card.
Make cheques payable to Births, Deaths and Marriages.
Processing times can vary depending on the date of the certificate. Check estimated processing times on the CBS website to work out how long it will take to get your certificate.
Your application can be fast-tracked by paying a priority fee of $41.50. Certificates can be collected from the CBS Customer Service Centre in Adelaide, or sent by express post. There is no extra postage cost for a fast-tracked certificate sent by express post.
Priority service processing times:
- CBS Customer Service Centre applications - 30 mins
- Online or posted applications - available for collection or posted within 24 hours.
Priority service is not available for births that are not registered, commemorative certificates or birth certificates more than 100 years old.
Contact Births, Deaths and Marriages
Phone: 131 882
91 Grenfell Street
GPO Box 1351
Adelaide SA 5001