At 6:00 pm on Tuesday 20 July, South Australia commenced a 7 day lockdown. Learn about restrictions.

Travel concession and allowances

Public transport concession cards

Students are entitled to concession rates on public transport but must carry approved student identification cards. Student ID cards can be organised through your school.

Students with disabilities

The education department provides various forms of travel assistance for students with disabilities attending public schools.

For more information see your school or phone the transport section on 8226 2474.

Fares allowance


School students living five kilometres or more from the nearest public school or school bus run can apply for a travelling allowance.

How to apply

Lodge your application form with the school. When you receive notification from the department that your application has been received, you can make a claim.

Where to get help

For more information see your school or phone the transport section on 8226 2406. Tertiary students receiving Centrelink payments can apply for a fares allowance.

State Education Allowance for geographically isolated parents

The State Education Allowance is available to geographically isolated parents with children at secondary level who board away from home to attend school. The allowance assists with travel, boarding and other expenses associated with the education of their children. Four payments are made each year at the end of each school term.


To be eligible for the State Education Allowance parents must have been approved by Centrelink to receive the Assistance for Isolated Children allowance.

How to apply

A claim form should be submitted to the Department for Education to the address specified on the claim form.

Where to get help

Phone 8226 2406 with any further enquiries.

Other forms of assistance

School Card - full-time students from low income families who are attending government schools can claim assistance for a range of school expenses, including fees.

Help with education costs - students and their families can get help with education costs through a variety of schemes provided by Centrelink and other national agencies.

Scholarships - contact private schools, universities and other educational institutions to discover their range of scholarships.

Grants - school communities can apply for a grant to fund new initiatives that encourage increased involvement of parents and caregivers.

Related information

On this site

Public transport concessions

Other websites

Youth and students' payments and services - Australian Government

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 13 August 2018

Provided by:
Department for Education
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2021