Payments and financial support schemes

Students and their families can get help with child care and education costs through a variety of schemes provided by Centrelink and other national agencies. Assistance is available for all types of learning and training for those with special needs.

Aboriginal students or apprentices

Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders students or apprentices can apply for ABSTUDY. The scheme covers indigenous primary, secondary or tertiary education and Australian apprenticeships.

Centrelink customers

Customers of Centrelink can use the Centrepay bill-paying service. Fees including education fees can be deducted on a regular basis from Centrelink payments. You can contact your school about arranging a payment plan.

Child care

The Child Care Subsidy helps you with the cost of child care. If you have applied for the Child Care Benefit, you may also be eligible for the Additional Child Care Subsidy.

The Child Care Safety Net provides access to quality early childhood education and care to:

  • vulnerable and disadvantaged children
  • children from regional and remote communities.

Defence force families

Members of the Australian Defence Force are entitled to various assistance schemes to support their child's education. You may also be eligible for other support schemes.


Find grants for young people on the GRANTassist website.

International students

Overseas students on an award course in South Australia can enrol their children in a state government school. There are two categories of dependants:


Pensioners who are receiving payments from Centrelink may be eligible for a Pensioner Education Supplement to help with study costs.

Students in remote and isolated areas

School-aged students who cannot get to a school or tertiary provider because they live in a remote area, or they have a disability or special health needs can apply for help through the Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme.

Aboriginal students may be interested in finding out about the Indigenous Youth Mobility Program.

Eligible school students living five kilometres or more from the nearest public school or school bus run can apply for a travelling allowance.

Young people at school, training or in an apprenticeship


Austudy provides financial help if you're 25 or older and studying or an Australian Apprentice.

To get this you must be:

  • 25 or older
  • a full time student in an approved course or Australian Apprenticeship
  • under the income test limits.

The scheme covers secondary education, graduate and undergraduate courses, and some Masters, diplomas and TAFE courses.

School Card

Full-time students from low income families scheme who are attending government schools can claim School Card assistance for a range of school expenses, including fees.

HELP paying your fees

The Government administers five HELP loans schemes to assist students with the cost of their tuition. The right loan for you will depend on your circumstances, eligibility and where you want to study.


Contact schools, universities and other educational institutions to discover their range of scholarships.

Travelling allowance

Eligible students can apply for a travelling allowance.

Youth Allowance

Financial help through Youth Allowance is available if you’re 24 or younger and a student or Australian Apprentice, or 21 or younger and looking for work.

Related information

Other websites

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 5 May 2022

Provided by:
Department for Education
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023