School Card scheme

The School Card scheme offers financial assistance with school fees (materials and services charges) for students attending government schools in each year.

If your school fees are less than the School Card subsidy, the scheme can also help with other educational expenses such as uniform, camp and excursion costs.

Parents of students at non-government schools should speak directly to the school about financial assistance.


School Card is available to:

  • families with children aged four years and over who attend a school full time
  • independent full-time students studying year 10, 11 or 12
  • adult re-entry students undertaking subjects to complete their SACE.

Applications for 2021 have closed

School Card applications for the 2021 school year have closed. Forms for the 2022 school year will be available early 2022.

School Card A

This is the most commonly used school card application. Use this form if you are liable for your child’s school fees and you're not:

  • self-employed
  • an independent youth
  • an adult re-entry student
  • a migrant who arrived in Australia after 1 July 2019
  • receiving Veteran’s Affairs benefits
  • applying for a foster child in your care.

Form will be available early 2022.

School Card S (adult re-entry student)

Use this if you're an adult re-entry student – over 18, returning to study and have not achieved your SACE.

Form will be available early 2022.

School Card Y (independent student)

Use this if you're a student who receives Independent Youth Allowance as at 28 February 2021.

Form will be available early 2022.

School Card B (hardship, change of circumstances or self-employed)

For use where:

  • your income for 2019/20 is over the School Card limits but you experienced hardship in the 2019/2020 financial year
  • you have had a change of financial circumstances during the 2019/2020 financial year up to and including 28 February 2021
  • you are self-employed.

Form will be available early 2022.

School Card M (migrants or new arrivals)

Use if you have arrived in Australia or have been released from a detention centre since 1 July 2019.

Form will be available early 2022.

School Card V (veteran's affairs)

Use if you receive of Veteran’s Affairs benefits.

Form will be available early 2022.

School Card F (informal and formal care agreement)

For use where one or more students:

  • are under an informal care agreement (informal foster arrangement) or
  • have come into your care through a court order (formal foster arrangement) as at 28 February 2021 or
  • where the child or children are being cared for by a grandparent(s) or other family members and caregivers as at 28 February 2021.

Form will be available early 2022.

School Card R (reassessment)

Use if you have submitted an application but were assessed as not eligible and you want to be reassessed.

School Card R – apply online

School Card R – printable form

Income limits

The tables below list the income limits for applications lodged in 2021 – based on the family's gross income in 2019/2020.

To qualify for School Card, your family's gross income must be below a certain limit. This limit depends on how many dependent children you have and whether your child attends a government, independent, or Catholic school.

You will need to provide proof of income – such as payslips or Centrelink information.

Eligibility income limits for a student attending a government school

Number of dependent children Gross annual income limit Gross weekly income limit
1 child $60,867 $1,171
2 children $61,954 $1,192
3 children $63,041 $1,213
4 children $64,128 $1,234
5 children $65,215 $1,255
More than 5 children Add $1,087 for each dependent child Add $21 for each dependent child

Eligibility income limits for a student attending a non-government school

The income limits for students attending non-government schools are set by the Association of Independent Schools of South Australia (AISSA) and Catholic Education South Australia (CESA).

Independent schools income limits

The income limits for independent schools may differ for each school. Please speak to your child’s school for details.

Related information

On this site

Other websites


For more information or help to complete the form talk to your school or phone freecall 1800 672 758.

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 19 November 2021

Provided by:
Department for Education
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2021