Update licence and registration details

Who is this for

People who have changed address and need to update their vehicle registration and/or driver's licence details.

What you need

A mySA GOV account.

Don't have a mySA GOV account?

You can still update your address online. You'll need your driver's licence or client number.

Using a mobile?

By clicking 'update your address' you will be redirected to a page that will not resize to fit your screen but you will still be able to complete transactions.

If you want to do this later, you could email this page to yourself.

A mySA GOV account offers a mobile-friendly transaction.

What happens next

If you have updated your address details for your driver’s licence, a sticker will be posted out to you. This sticker must be placed on the back of your licence.

If you have the mySA GOV app, your updated address details will be listed on your digital licence immediately.

Registration renewals will be sent to your new address, or you can opt to receive notices by email or SMS.

Other options

If you are unable to update your details online, phone 13 10 84 or go to a Service SA customer service centre.

Changing your name

If you have changed your name, take the completed Advice of change of name/address (93.4 KB PDF) form to a Service SA customer service centre with evidence of identity and pay the prescribed fee.

Changing your gender without changing your name

To register or amend your gender without changing your name, you must present one of the following documents at a Service SA customer service centre:

  • a statement from a registered medical practitioner or a registered psychologist
  • a valid Australian Government travel document, such as a current passport, which specifies your preferred gender
  • an amended state or territory birth certificate, which specifies your preferred gender
  • a state or territory gender recognition certificate, or recognised details certificate, showing that a state or territory registrar of birth deaths and marriages has accepted your change in sex will be sufficient evidence.

Providing you have a supporting document from the list above, you can change your gender to one of the following:

'M' - male

'F' - female

'X' - this option is available if you do not identify your gender as either male or female.

For more information please see the Australian Government guidelines on the recognition of sex and gender

Change to medical conditions

If you have a physical or mental impairment that may affect your capacity to drive, you must declare this to Service SA. Based on this information you may need to undergo a medical examination to confirm your fitness to hold a driver's licence.

Contact Service SA


Only send general enquiries online. Service SA will respond within three working days.

If the matter is urgent or is specifically about your current licence or registration, please phone or visit a customer service centre instead.

Enquire now


Call Service SA Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays on:

In person

Service SA Customer Service Centre locations and opening hours.

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 4 June 2020

Provided by:
Department for Infrastructure and Transport
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2020