Get the most recent information on South Australia's response to the Coronavirus pandemic.

Call centres and information lines

Find a Justice of the Peace

A justice of the peace (JP) acts as an independent and objective witness to documents people use for official or legal purposes. For example, a JP may:

  • certify a true copy of an original document
  • certify a person's identity
  • witness an affidavit for use in court
  • witness a statutory declaration
  • witness the signing of a document.

Find a JP in SA

Find a JP interstate

COVID-19 update

Due to recent health concerns, the JP Volunteer Service offered at court locations in SA is suspended until further notice. Court staff will be available to perform JP duties for court related matters only.

The JP Volunteer Service in the Consumer and Business Services customer service centre has also been cancelled until further notice.

Further information about the service reopening will be added here as it becomes available.

Other places to find a JP

State electorate offices

The South Australian Parliament website has electorate office addresses and phone numbers. Contact your local office to make sure a JP is available.

Complaints and feedback

Complaints against JPs must be made in writing. The complaint must include the name of the JP, the ID number (if known) and details of the incident, including any supporting documentation or evidence.

Complaints will be considered is a JP does not comply with:

We will also investigate:

  • JPs who have been charged with or convicted of offences
  • JPs not carrying out the official functions of the office correctly
  • general misconduct.

Personal disputes between the public and a JP will not be considered.

You can also provide feedback, including suggestions for how the service could be improved.

Lodge a complaint on the Consumer and Business Affairs website.

Contact Justice of the Peace Services

Phone: 131 882


Related information

Other websites

Justice of the Peace Services - Attorney-General's Department

Was this page useful?

Page last updated 26 March 2020

Provided by:
Attorney-General's Department
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2020