Energy bill concessions

Eligible South Australians on low or fixed incomes can apply for help with the cost of energy bills for their principal place of residence.

The concession amount is indexed each financial year. For 2019-20, you may be eligible to receive up to $226.67 to cover both electricity and gas payments (including LPG bottled gas).

If you live in a residential park you may be eligible for a combined concession for your water, sewerage and energy - see Residential Park Concessions.

The SA Concessions Energy Discount Offer is available to energy concession recipients.


You must:

  • live at the property
  • be listed as an account holder on your energy bill
  • hold an eligible concession card or receive an eligible Centrelink payment
  • not be living with anyone who has an income of more than $3,000 per year, unless they either:
    • get an allowance from Centrelink or the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)
    • are your spouse, domestic partner or dependent.

Eligible cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • DVA Gold Card
    • Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
    • Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA)
    • War Widow
    • issued to a person with 80 or more overall impairment points under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004
  • Low Income Health Care Card
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card

Eligible Centrelink payments:

  • Newstart Allowance
  • Sickness Allowance
  • Widow Allowance
  • Youth Allowance
  • Partner Allowance
  • Parenting Payment
  • Special Benefit
  • Community Development Project (CDP)
  • New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS)
  • Austudy
  • Farm Household Allowance
  • War widow pension under legislation of the United Kingdom or New Zealand.

Energy concession for asylum seekers

If you are a verified asylum seeker and your principal place of residence is in South Australia, you can apply for an energy concession through your Status Resolution Support Service (SRSS) if you:

  • are receiving case management and/or support from an organisation contracted by the Department of Home Affairs to provide services under the SRSS program
  • meet low income requirements
  • hold an energy account in your name for your principal place of residence
  • are not living with anyone who earns more than $3,000 per year.

How to apply

Contact your SRSS provider to apply.

Before you begin

You'll need:

  • your Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN) or DVA file number
  • information from your most recent electricity bill, including:
    • retailer name
    • account number
    • National Metering Identifier (NMI) number
    • billing dates.

How to apply


Complete the online household concessions form to apply for a concession on energy bills, water and sewerage rates and the Cost of Living Concession.


Update your details using the online household concessions form.


1. Complete the form

Download and complete the application for household concessions (275.0 KB PDF) or contact ConcessionsSA and ask for a form to be sent to you.

2. Submit the application

Email the form to

Or post (no postage stamp required) to:

Reply Paid 292
Adelaide SA 5001

How payments are made

Home owners

Your concession will be applied directly to your electricity bill.

Housing SA tenants

Your concession will be applied to your utility bill.

Private tenants

Your concession will be applied directly to your electricity bill.

If you live in a residential park

You will receive a quarterly combined payment directly into your bank account for all eligible concessions.

If you live in a retirement village

Depending on the arrangements you have with your retirement village operator, concessions will be:

  • received as a quarterly payment directly into your bank account
  • if you receive an electricity bill in your name from a retailer, your concession will be applied to this bill.

If you don't get a bill from an energy retailer

Your concession will be paid directly into your bank account.

Changing retailers

When changing energy retailers, your name must:

  • be listed as an account holder on your electricity bill
  • match your Centrelink or DVA card.

Phone the ConcessionsSA Hotline on 1800 307 758 once you have received your first electricity bill from your new energy retailer.

Note: energy retailers in South Australia cannot transfer your concession, you must contact ConcessionsSA.

Changing address

If you move house, you must update your address details with Centrelink or DVA before contacting ConcessionsSA.

Phone the ConcessionsSA Hotline on 1800 307 758 once you have received your first electricity bill at your new address.




ConcessionsSA Hotline (9.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday) - 1800 307 758

If you have a hearing or speech impairment - TTY 8226 6789

Interpreting and translating

To arrange an onsite or telephone interpreter, or to have a document translated, please call the Interpreting and Translating Centre (ITC) on 1800 280 203.

Related information

On this site

Cost of living concession

Medical heating and cooling concession

Other websites

Home dialysis electricity concession

Energy Made Easy


Are you eligible for a concession brochure (240.0 KB PDF)

Alternative version of documents

Many documents are displayed as PDF files. If you have problems accessing documents in the PDF format, you can request a copy to be made available in an alternative format.

Email -

Was this page useful?

Take a moment to tell us why.

If you need a response, send an enquiry instead.

Page last updated 22 August 2019

Provided by:
Department of Human Services
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2019