Cost of living concession

The Cost of Living Concession replaced the council rate concession to help people on low or fixed incomes with their general living expenses - for example, council rates, energy and medical bills.

If you previously received a Cost of Living Concession payment and your living and income circumstances have not changed, you don't need to reapply.

This concession is paid between August and December each year by electronic funds transfer (EFT). Tenants are now paid at the same time as other customers.

Apply or update your details

To apply you'll need your Centrelink customer reference number (CRN), DVA file number or a copy of your most recent tax assessment.

Applications must be submitted by 31 December to receive the concession for that financial year.

You can also use the form to update your details - for example, address or bank details.

One application covers all household concessions.

Other ways to apply

What happens next

The concession is paid once a year directly into your bank account by electronic funds transfer (EFT).

Who should apply

The concession can only be paid to one person per household.

Assessment is based on your circumstances on 1 July of the relevant financial year.

You must:

  • live at the property
  • hold an eligible card, receive an eligible Centrelink payment, or meet low income provisions
  • tenants must not be living with anyone who earns more than the low income provisions, unless they either:
    • get an allowance from Centrelink or the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)
    • are your spouse, domestic partner or dependant.

Eligible cards

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • DVA Gold Card
    • Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
    • Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA)
    • War Widow
    • issued to a person with 80 or more overall impairment points under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (Cth)
  • Low Income Health Care Card
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.

Eligible Centrelink payments

  • JobSeeker Payment
  • Widow Allowance
  • Youth Allowance
  • Partner Allowance
  • Parenting Payment
  • Special Benefit
  • Community Development Program (CDP)
  • New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS)
  • Austudy
  • Farm Household Allowance (FHA)
  • War widow pension under legislation of the United Kingdom or New Zealand.

Low income provisions

For the 2022-23 financial year, your income from all sources must not be more than the income limits shown below.

Status Fortnightly income
before tax
Annual income
before tax
Single $792.70 $20,610.20
Single with children $841.00 $21,866.00
Partnered $1,470.60 $38,235.60

Concession amount

The concession amount is indexed each financial year.

Information about the 2023-24 concession amount will be available soon.

For the 2022–23 financial year, all eligible applicants received a once-off doubling of the Cost of Living Concession.

The amount per eligible household was:

  • homeowner-occupiers: $449 (standard rate $224.50)
  • homeowner-occupiers who are self-funded retirees with a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card: $224.60 (standard rate $112.30)
  • tenants: $224.60 (standard rate $112.30).

Payments for the 2023–24 financial year

If you have received the Cost of Living Concession in your name before, or you recently applied, you will be assessed for the 2023-24 payment as at 1 July this year.

If you are eligible, your payment will be made by electronic funds transfer (EFT). You must provide your banking details to receive the concession.

Use the online household concessions form if you need to update your banking details, or contact the ConcessionsSA Hotline.

  • All eligible applicants who apply by 1 July 2023 will receive their payment from August 2023.
  • New eligible applicants who apply between 1 July and 31 December 2023 will be paid within two weeks of approval.

How to identify your Cost of Living Concession payment

The payment description on your bank statement will show 'Concessions COLC'.

For the 2022-23 concession, look for $449 for homeowners, or $224.60 for tenants and Commonwealth Seniors Health Card holders.



Phone: ConcessionsSA Hotline (9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday) - 1800 307 758

Translations: to arrange an onsite or telephone interpreter, or to have a document translated, please call the Interpreting and Translating Centre (ITC) on 1800 280 203.

Was this page useful?

Thanks for contributing - your feedback helps us improve this website.

Page last updated 1 January 2023

Provided by:
Department of Human Services
Last Updated:
Printed on:
Copyright statement:
SA.GOV.AU is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2023