Cost of living concession
ConcessionsSA is experiencing longer than usual processing times. We are currently assessing applications submitted in late October. If you have applied or contacted us, we’ll get to you as soon as possible.
Apply by 31 December to be assessed for the double rate.
If you applied over five weeks ago and were approved, check your bank account for a payment named “Concessions COLC”. Look for $449 for homeowners, or $224.60 for tenants and Commonwealth Seniors Health Card holders.
The Cost of Living Concession replaced the council rate concession to help people on low or fixed incomes with their general living expenses - for example, council rates, energy and medical bills.
If you previously received a Cost of Living Concession payment and your living and income circumstances have not changed, you don't need to reapply.
The 2022–23 Cost of Living Concession is a once-off double payment and was brought forward for tenants.
Apply or update your details
To apply you'll need your Centrelink customer reference number (CRN), DVA file number or a copy of your most recent tax assessment.
Applications must be submitted by 31 December to receive the concession for that financial year.
You can also use the form to update your details - for example, address or bank details.
One application covers all household concessions.
What happens next
The concession is paid once a year directly into your bank account by electronic funds transfer (EFT).
Who should apply
The concession can only be paid to one person per household.
Assessment is based on your circumstances on 1 July of the relevant financial year.
- live at the property
- hold an eligible card, receive an eligible Centrelink payment, or meet low income provisions
- tenants must not be living with anyone who earns more than the low income provisions, unless they either:
- get an allowance from Centrelink or the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)
- are your spouse, domestic partner or dependant.
- Pensioner Concession Card
- DVA Gold Card
- Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
- Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA)
- War Widow
- issued to a person with 80 or more overall impairment points under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (Cth)
- Low Income Health Care Card
- Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.
Eligible Centrelink payments
- JobSeeker Payment
- Widow Allowance
- Youth Allowance
- Partner Allowance
- Parenting Payment
- Special Benefit
- Community Development Program (CDP)
- New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS)
- Farm Household Allowance (FHA)
- War widow pension under legislation of the United Kingdom or New Zealand.
Low income provisions
For the 2022-23 financial year, your income from all sources must not be more than the income limits shown below.
|Status|| Fortnightly income|
| Annual income|
|Single with children||$841.00||$21,866.00|
The concession amount is indexed each financial year.
All eligible applicants will receive a once-off doubling of the Cost of Living Concession for 2022–23. The rates below reflect this increase.
For the 2022–23 financial year, the amount per eligible household is:
- homeowner-occupiers: $449 (standard rate $224.50)
- homeowner-occupiers who are self-funded retirees with a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card: $224.60 (standard rate $112.30)
- tenants: $224.60 (standard rate $112.30).
Payments for the 2022–23 financial year
If you are an existing customer or you recently applied, and are eligible, you don't need to do anything to receive the double Cost of Living Concession for 2022–23.
The increase will be paid to you automatically with the standard concession payment.
All payments are made by electronic funds transfer (EFT). You must provide your banking details to receive the concession.
Use the online household concessions form to update your banking details or contact the ConcessionsSA Hotline.
- All eligible homeowner-occupiers, tenants, retirement village and residential park residents, who applied by 1 July 2022, received their payment in August 2022.
- New eligible applicants who apply by 31 December 2022 will be paid the double rate within two weeks of approval.